summer pike in northants

cobra

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wallbash: well ive tried the country park (Dav resi ) brought some nice new lures and lost the lot on the rocks perhaps im not doing it right i dunno

That's not so good... :( - know how that feels...

I think they did some work on the dam wall a few years ago so maybe the rock is a lot more exposed than it used to be. Up at the bay near the car park it isn't so rocky so more conducive to plugging. I used to use spinners and floating plugs (just what I had at the time).

Maybe try using some soft plastics - they don't tend to snag as much - you tend to use them with single hook jigheads as well so less chance of snagging.

Maybe even give dead-baits a try - I imagine a good quality pop-up deadbait (foam assisted buoyancy etc) fished about 30-40 foot out would go well. Not sure where you can get them locally but something like smelt or mackeral or even lamprey could work for you.

Otherwise floating diving lures or SPs or lures with single hooks. Those plugs are expensive I know...

Let us know how you go.

Steve

:wallbash: well ive tried the country park (Dav resi ) brought some nice new lures and lost the lot on the rocks perhaps im not doing it right i dunno

Gutted....that's always the side of lure fishing that I find hard.....they are so expensive and cause distress when lost!!

Popped up deadbaits still a goer now....I'm still catching on that setup.

:thumbs:

Gutted....that's always the side of lure fishing that I find hard.....they are so expensive and cause distress when lost!!

Popped up deadbaits still a goer now....I'm still catching on that setup.

ok ill give the surface lures a try had a good fish do a tail walk last night and break itself free "gutted" but will get the gear to do the deadbait next week ill let you know how it goes :clap2: #

Good luck

I'm going to buy some surface popper lures today for a short lure session tomorrow morning.....very weedy now so I know I'm going to loose some

:clap2: excellent evenings action i arrived at the country park at approx 5pm and was fishing up to 7-7:30pm had 5 pike between 10 and 15 lbs im happy with that for sure

Good luck

I'm going to buy some surface popper lures today for a short lure session tomorrow morning.....very weedy now so I know I'm going to loose some

good luck mate hope you do the 20+

:clap2: excellent evenings action i arrived at the country park at approx 5pm and was fishing up to 7-7:30pm had 5 pike between 10 and 15 lbs im happy with that for sure

That's a really good session ! - well done. What tactics did you use and where roughly did you get them on the rese ?

Wish I could pop over for a quick evening session - it's getting dark here at 6pm now and it's finally starting to feel like winter's on the way i.e. it gets below 20 degrees c ;)

Steve

That's a really good session ! - well done. What tactics did you use and where roughly did you get them on the rese ?

Wish I could pop over for a quick evening session - it's getting dark here at 6pm now and it's finally starting to feel like winter's on the way i.e. it gets below 20 degrees c ;)

Steve

:thumbs: i fished with a surface lure all along the rocks from the overflow right back to the bay went tonight aswell have a 5 lb jack and a nice twelve pounder was windy on both occasions dont know whether thats a coinsidence( sorry bout the spelling)

:unsure:

:thumbs: i fished with a surface lure all along the rocks from the overflow right back to the bay went tonight aswell have a 5 lb jack and a nice twelve pounder was windy on both occasions dont know whether thats a coinsidence( sorry bout the spelling)

how did you get on neil

Must have just missed ya the other evening i walk my mutt round there 2 or 3 times a week in the evenings you'll quite often find me sat there trying to spot those elusive bream that are supposed to exist in there.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.