Eels

Dave Smith

had three takes last wednesday night, one I somehow managed to miss the other two aborted.

I struck the take as quickly as I could, should I have waited a little? to be honest though I want to aviod deep hooking if I possibly can, rather miss a take.

PAC RO - Birmingham Region 1 www.Brum-Pikers.co.uk

Internet Officer - National Anguilla Club www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk

Very Average Blog - www.PredatorAngling.co.uk

What baits where you using?

I always strike immediately when eel fishing and hook most of the runs I get from eels, with the hook usually being bang in the middle of the botton lip.

The only advice I can offer is always strike straight away and match your hook size to the bait.

for dead baits, roach heads etc I use a sz 4 or even a sz 2 with a short wire trace, for lobworms I tend to use a sz 6. I only ever use barbless hooks for eels.

Hope this helps and good luck with the snakes.

Edited by zedhead

It could very well just be smaller Eels picking the bait and running with it.. Maybe try dropping the size of your baits a little and knocking the hook size down or changing to narrower gaped hooks...

Edited by dant

How about a ESP G-4 Raptor or something of a similar shape to these.. The shape of the Gardener Mugga might well lend itself to successful hook up with Eels..

To be honest 3 missed runs in a nights Eel fishing isn't too much out of the ordinary.. If you've ever seen an Eel feed, especially a smaller one, it's not as straight foward as some species.. If you stick it out I'm sure they'll come..