Kent waters sought by newbie

Bofh

Hi everyone, I've just just joined and I'm rearing to go :clap2: So I have many questions to ask and I'm sorry if they have all been asked before but I'll read as much as I can soon enough.

Ok firstly I'm looking for lakes and rivers that I can fish in the Kent area, I'm based in Dartford and the coast is a fair way off for a quick afternoon's fish so I wonderd if anyone knows any good lakes or rivers I could use a kayak on to fish.

Secondly I can't make up me mind as to what Kayak to get, idealy I'd like to get a two seater and take the other half or a friend but Its most likely that I'll end up out there on my own and I'm a little concerned as to how hard it would be getting about on my own in a two seater.

I'd also like to make a few friends here from my area or close by that I could go out with, so if anyone is close by please say hi. I currently have an inflatable Stearn Yakata and I use her down at Laybourne Lakes, so again if anyone wants to meet up and let me have a butchers at their boat give me a shout.

I will also be getting a two seater to store at my mates place in Spain that we can use so again I'm interested in advice there to, i.e. where to purchace on in Spain. I see there is a Decathlon store in Murcia that is close to him but they don't have a great range and any tips would be apreciated.

As for the type of fishing I'd like to get into, well lure fishing mainly, I've spent many moons as a Carp fisherman and need something a little more involved.

As for me, well I'm 36 mental about me motor bikes,shooting and trying to get back into fishing, I see Kayak fishing as a great way to combine my hobbies. I work for the NHS in London in an IT dept as a Network Systems Analyst and can't wait to retire lol.

This may help

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/rivers.htm

http://www.btinternet.com/~colin.duff/medw...ess_details.htm

Just remember that during the course fishing season Kayakers and bank anglers often don't mix very well !!. Always be aware that you may be paddling thru someones swim and try to be as courteous and pleasant as possible whilst they are catapulting pieces of worm and casters at you.

Ped

Hi Bofh, there is no 'closed season' on canals and lakes, only rivers.

I sometimes have a paddle on Leybourne Lakes, my daughter lives right near them.

I only fish the sea, at Herne Bay or Hythe. A double kayak will be too heavy and not easy to paddle on your own. If you envisage mostly being on your own, go for a single.

Hi Mike, I don't suppose your going down any time soon, I'd love to have a look at your Kayak. I'm strugling to find anywhere local that I can see them, are there any shops near that you know of?

Yes, there is a kayak shop in Wrotham village, and a new one in Folkestone.

I have two the same, come and try one if you like, Leybourne lake is near me.

Hi Mike, I had a quick look at the Kayak shop in Wrotham, very helpfull people indeed but they only had the one perception fishing kayak 11.5 foot i think, it was ok but the hatche looked a little small, I'd like to have a good look at the Ocean Kayak range I think.

I did have a look at the Malibu 2 xl for Spain, very nice indeed, I'd be happy taking my mate and hi 5 year old out in that, not to sure where I will put the rod holders though, I couldn't see where I would fit flush holders. I guess a couple of Scott holders would fit somewhere.

When are you likely to go to Laybourne next?