Saveing some dosh?

Sutton Warrior

Hi Folks, not been around for a while. Personal circumstances and all that, then me' P&S decided to stop working! Second time in three years, major failure both times??? decided it was time to get up to date. Spent many hours, looking on the web, in mags, procrastinating, on the basis that something will come up tomorrow :headhurt:

Well, it did, I had been tossing the Canon A640-A630 and one of the (there are so many) Lumix P&S around and around. The Canon had good spec., the appeal of a swivel screen and eye view finder, but it was a Canon that had gone ca-put, twice! The Lumix has a great spec., plus wide angle lens but no eye view or swivel screen?

As I say, "something came up". Nearly went for it last week, but just could not get the hand out of the pocket :unsure: Then, wadding through the web, again, looking at 'all in one printers', came across, by chance, the offer of the year. A Bank Holiday cash back offer by Canon on the 'powereshot' range, £60 on an A640, provided purchased between 24/29th May 2007.

Jessops are doing a "match any published price" offer . . . So, a hunt through 'What Digital Camera' came up with a price of £209.99 against Jessops price of £229.99 and £60 cash back from Canon, claim form and receipt in the post already. I recon £149.99 is a pretty fair price to pay for a P&S that has had top reviews and full manual control next only to SLR type camera.

Saved another £25 on the HPC5180 'all in one' printer, this afternoon, £105 discount in one day . . . :clap2:

The moral to the tail, if you are in the market for a 'powershot' P&S, can get to the shops this weekend, there is some good money to be had?

Now for some light instruction book reading :thumbs:

S/Warrior

Hi SW ... Nice to see you back !! :thumbs::thumbs:

So .. you have the camera. And the instruction book.

We're all waiting for the pics !! :P:D:lol:

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Nice one mate :thumbs: Just got into photography last year. Bought a Canon PowerShot A700 last September and have never looked back!

With fish shots in mind and the glare you can get off the screen got that model because it has a normal viewfinder as well.It has turned out to be good advice. It is a good bit of kit and user friendly.

Planning to retire 2009 at some stage and will probably fall into the SLR trap then :thumbs: until then will keep popping shots with my Canon compact. Even bought a couple of ND filters for it!!!!(unused as yet)

Still the quality is ok,here is a couple of local shots I took with it

Dawn5.jpg

sunrise2.jpg

sunrise3.jpg

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hi Snatcher, some nice suns', favourit time of day, sunset/sunrise, especialy sunrise. I liked the pictures from the last PowerShot I had. I'm hoping that I had a 'bad Friday afternoon one' :unsure: The 640 has a much better control menu and 10m pix's. I do have a DSLR, but carting it and a heavy bag about can be a fag? Although I used it for a while on recent fishing trips, reminding me what a pleasure it is to use compared with the 'old' P&S. The main down side being excess 'Shutter lag' . . . it was slow!! Those early digital point and shoots were dire.

The new 640 has minimal lag, not quite up to the DSLR but excellent in comparison to the previous vintage PowerShot. Focus and zoom are quick, and the menu is simple yet comprehensive. So we are back to the lazy 'pic up and run' style of photography I like, using the DSLR when I want to get serious <_<

This is one of my DSLR pics taken of a mat on my boat, a double figure Stary Smoothound, a PB for him as he has never caught a Smoothound before, that was a week ago, he is still talking about it :lol:

Mike-Houndrwe.jpg

A wet bank holiday Monday morning, 'Urban scape', using the Powershot 640. Auto settings, minimal photo shop, just to see where we go from here, as with the old PS, auto works remarkably well. A dull rainy morning, ISO 100.

gardenrwetest.jpg

S/Warrior