Spods

james17

My catapults broken and I need a way of getting a carpet of bait out and was thinking about a spod.

I don't really want to buy one so has anyone made their own spods or know of how to do it?

Thanks in advance for replies

My catapults broken and I need a way of getting a carpet of bait out and was thinking about a spod.

I don't really want to buy one so has anyone made their own spods or know of how to do it?

Thanks in advance for replies

Cheaper to buy a new catapult.

You can make your own spods from plastic tubing but....

Spodding puts a real strain on your gear casting out and cranking back.

In the Korda video(s) its recommended that you get a dedicated spod rod, big pit reel with large spool and robust handle, spooled up with 15lb braid.

Tony

Spodding puts a real strain on your gear casting out and cranking back.

I've made my own spod before, it broke as it hit the water! As for a dedicated rod, I can't be bothered. I use a marker float to find my spot then I cast my rig to the marker float, clip up, and then swap the lead for a spod. I use a little fox spod with a 1.5tc rod when I'm tenching, however I've be very careful if I were you!

I like the fox spod (here) as it has removable inserts so you can have holes in the side which helps with emptying and retrieving.

Rich

I like the fox spod (here) as it has removable inserts so you can have holes in the side which helps with emptying and retrieving.

Rich

Yeah that looks good. I was planning on using it for sloppy particles mixes as well as boilies etc. so that covers all areas.

Still, I would like to make my own as well just to see if it's worthwhile. No-one else had a go at this?

I haven't, but all a 'spod' is is a bit of plastic tubing, pointy at one end with something bouyant in the end, and open at the other end with some fins stuck on. Attach some thick mono with a swivel on and it's done. Go somewhere like Wickes and wander around, you should find the bits you need. You'll probably find it's cheaper to buy one though, unless you have useful bits and pieces lying around at home.

I was going to make a bait dropper last year and in the end just bought one for a couple of quid!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music