Kayak fishing on rivers?

david t

hello,

Ive done a fair bit of kayak fishing (borrowed a mates kayak) on the sea off Aberystwyth over the past month or so, but unfortunately im not in Aberystwyth anymore , im in buckinghamshire now. I like kayak fishing, once you get used to the fact that you really cant take much gear etc! I have a kayak here in bucks, its not a Bic fishing type, but a normal 1 man kayak, i would happily fish off it, for a few hours. I want to fish the thames on it, for chub etc, trouble is, im not too sure on the legality of it etc.

I remember enquiring about putting a small wooden rowing boat on the river for some fishing, and finding i had to pay for insurance, and tax etc. Do i have to pay any kind of tax or other waterway charges on a normal 1 man kayak, or have it registered on a navigable river like the thames? or can i just use it as it is?

many thanks for your help

dave

I think you do. Here in Maidstone, if I want to use the river Medway, I have to have a license, it costs £17 per year per kayak, and must be displayed on the boat.

Go to your local council website, or a search for the river you want to use. You should find the info you need.