Outing Yesterday Near Gorran Haven

gilbo

Went out from a beach yesterday near Gorran Haven, cracking conditions and very bright.

In morning managed a couple of mackerel and a daughter had a small pollock on baited Silver Shrimp rigs. Noticed a load of gulls on the water and something happening a bit further down.

Had dinner and paddled out again with kids also onboard.

Paddled a couple of mles down the coast towards the birds. They were after a large shoal of pilchard being hunted and driven up to the top. Fantastic sight as the water was boiling and splashes everywhere. :thumbs:

Set up a light spinning rod with a jointed thunderstick and drifted around the fish. Could see the fish swimming under the kayak. First pilchards and then bass. The fish looked very white and stood out very well.

First few cast resulted in a frustrating time with 4 or 5 bass following the lure each time and then darting away at the kayak. :wallbash: Then a solid take and schoolie bass just undersize. Next couple of casts another bass this time over size. :thumbs:

Was a bit of cat and mouse for a while watching for the fish showing on the surface and sneaking up on them to aim the lure in there direction.

Best experience yet in the Kayak. Really in there with the fish and something a small boat and engine could not do! :thumbs:

Home today but very sunburnt face and "panda" eyes from my sunglasses! :unsure:

Out tonight for a shore session and hopefully a smooth hound or two.

:thumbs:

I didn,t take any photos on Saturday but wish I had for the record.

I know not kayak - but did go Branscombe last night and took the family. Had a little barb e q and fished.

As everyone loves a photo! so;-

First smoothie came before dark.

P6100072.jpg

My youngest is an angler in the making and loves to see the fish.

P6100074.jpg

Photos of the beach and the old shipwreck out to sea;

The gulls were waiting for a feed on whitebait which was being driven onto the beach by hunting mackerel shoals. They where a few feet from the edge and again the sea was boiling with fish. Could have picked up a couple of kilo of whitabait which was left on the sand.

P6100071.jpg

P6100070.jpg

Next smoothie came an hour or so after dark which my daughter held for the camera.

DSCF0608.jpg

What a weekend and I was sad to go back to work!

:thumbs: