SACN questions

Hi regarding the SW sfc. Could a sacn official (Leon) please comfirm that the sfc committee had infact replied to the detailed questions that were sent to them regarding the issue of bag limits and did they reply within the 20 days as required. Were the answers acceptable and is there an update that is of any concern to the members. Thank you.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi regarding the SW sfc. Could a sacn official (Leon) please comfirm that the sfc committee had infact replied to the detailed questions that were sent to them regarding the issue of bag limits and did they reply within the 20 days as required. Were the answers acceptable and is there an update that is of any concern to the members. Thank you.

Hi Barry,

I'm assuming that you are referring to the correspondance SACN has had with the Cornwall Sea Fisheries Committee (not the South Wales SFC)

Yes, the SFC replied promptly.

Yes the answers were acceptable, and there is nothing of great concern (although bag limits are still on the Cornwall agenda, but if it moves forward there will be further consultation).

Details of the correspondance were passed to SACN Exec and other RSA organisations, and angler activists down in Cornwall.

(of interest is an email from one of those anglers recieved recently:

In Cornwall we have a little informal group consisting of the following members of the Cornwall Sea Fisheries Committee: two Defra appointed Sea Angling Reps, a County Councillor who is a keen RSA and an Environment Agency appointee also a passionate RSA who meet with a small self appointed group of RSAs from the National Federation of Sea Anglers, Cornish Federation of Sea Anglers and a number of other interested conservationists from various clubs, about a dozen in all.

We have met three times before Sea Fisheries Committee meetings to formulate responses and so that RSA members of the SFC can say "Sea anglers feel that . . . . .".

These meetings have been useful to members of the SFC, but it is all rather informal and as I said earlier a self selecting group.

It's pleasing to see that increasingly grass-roots anglers and angling organisations are beginning to interact with their district SFCs.

Too many SFC committee members have no knowledge of Sea Angling, nor in truth do they care that much.

But it is the local SFC that has the greatest management impact (and potential impact) on local fish stocks, and anglers really should know more about what they do, how they do it, what they plan to do, and how they could be made to take a greater interest in improving the Recreational Sea Fisheries in their district.

It is only when local anglers start taking a real interest in the SFC, attending meetings, writing to the SFC, talking to councillors that are members of the SFC etc., that they will begin to realise just how important RSA is in their district, and how important it is to a large number of people - then they will start to care.

Details of local SFCs are available from the links at http://www.asfc.org.uk/

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Yes you are correct Leon, cornwall. i haven't read your reply in full, however i thank you for your responce and hope i haven't been too much of a pain. cheers

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Barry,

I'm assuming that you are referring to the correspondance SACN has had with the Cornwall Sea Fisheries Committee (not the South Wales SFC)

Yes, the SFC replied promptly.

Yes the answers were acceptable, and there is nothing of great concern (although bag limits are still on the Cornwall agenda, but if it moves forward there will be further consultation).

Details of the correspondance were passed to SACN Exec and other RSA organisations, and angler activists down in Cornwall.

(of interest is an email from one of those anglers recieved recently:

In Cornwall we have a little informal group consisting of the following members of the Cornwall Sea Fisheries Committee: two Defra appointed Sea Angling Reps, a County Councillor who is a keen RSA and an Environment Agency appointee also a passionate RSA who meet with a small self appointed group of RSAs from the National Federation of Sea Anglers, Cornish Federation of Sea Anglers and a number of other interested conservationists from various clubs, about a dozen in all.

We have met three times before Sea Fisheries Committee meetings to formulate responses and so that RSA members of the SFC can say "Sea anglers feel that . . . . .".

These meetings have been useful to members of the SFC, but it is all rather informal and as I said earlier a self selecting group.

It's pleasing to see that increasingly grass-roots anglers and angling organisations are beginning to interact with their district SFCs.

Too many SFC committee members have no knowledge of Sea Angling, nor in truth do they care that much.

But it is the local SFC that has the greatest management impact (and potential impact) on local fish stocks, and anglers really should know more about what they do, how they do it, what they plan to do, and how they could be made to take a greater interest in improving the Recreational Sea Fisheries in their district.

It is only when local anglers start taking a real interest in the SFC, attending meetings, writing to the SFC, talking to councillors that are members of the SFC etc., that they will begin to realise just how important RSA is in their district, and how important it is to a large number of people - then they will start to care.

Details of local SFCs are available from the links at http://www.asfc.org.uk/

Again many thanks for the info Leon. Slightly off topic, i dont know if my local sfc can help in the two items that i have as an boat angler at the top end of the channel. The two in question of interest are: i made an off the cuff remark to a skipper who has been around for a minimum of thirty five years, i asked why there is no real amount of black bream showing at the top end of the channel. His reply was that he has friends in the haulage industry who at a certain time of the year do nothing more than transport black bream to france. This is when they shoel up to breed. He has told me that it is load after load. Seeing that this is a non quota fish it is of a concern.

The second is the varne bank. as we are aware the channel at that point is just over twenty miles. Obviously the bank is outside of the sfc six mile limmit. However i am aware that the french commercial industry have a minimum of sixty % quota for the cod in the channel. I also understand that the uk does or used to have the largest fleet so, this to me does not sound right or fair, does anyone know the reason why they have so much quota. As soon as the codling start showing any improvement, they are then hooverd up and we are left in the same position as allways, i.e. no cod but codling of no real significance.

alright, three.

As and when this bloody defra interference comes in, they are supposedly trying to give the sfc's more power, control etc, who will control the rsa outside of the six mile limit and does control revert back to the sfc when say an angling boat returns within the six mile?

Edited by barry luxton

Again many thanks for the info Leon. Slightly off topic, i dont know if my local sfc can help in the two items that i have as an boat angler at the top end of the channel. The two in question of interest are: i made an off the cuff remark to a skipper who has been around for a minimum of thirty five years, i asked why there is no real amount of black bream showing at the top end of the channel. His reply was that he has friends in the haulage industry who at a certain time of the year do nothing more than transport black bream to france. This is when they shoel up to breed. He has told me that it is load after load. Seeing that this is a non quota fish it is of a concern.

The second is the varne bank. as we are aware the channel at that point is just over twenty miles. Obviously the bank is outside of the sfc six mile limmit. However i am aware that the french commercial industry have a minimum of sixty % quota for the cod in the channel. I also understand that the uk does or used to have the largest fleet so, this to me does not sound right or fair, does anyone know the reason why they have so much quota. As soon as the codling start showing any improvement, they are then hooverd up and we are left in the same position as allways, i.e. no cod but codling of no real significance.

alright, three.

As and when this bloody defra interference comes in, they are supposedly trying to give the sfc's more power, control etc, who will control the rsa outside of the six mile limit and does control revert back to the sfc when say an angling boat returns within the six mile?

Hi barry

Have a read of this nick by the local sfc, its a drop in the ocean as we all know but it gives you some idea as to where the bream are dissapearing! i have seen this going on all the time over the years and other just has distructive practices, people like steve g might be able to shed some more light on it? cheers....

http://www.sussex-sfc.gov.uk/news01.htm

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi barry

Have a read of this nick by the local sfc, its a drop in the ocean as we all know but it gives you some idea as to where the bream are dissapearing! i have seen this going on all the time over the years and other just has distructive practices, people like steve g might be able to shed some more light on it? cheers....

http://www.sussex-sfc.gov.uk/news01.htm

Many thanks for the link. i haven't found out how old this is but it is exactly how this other skipper had described the situation, also the amount of fines involved must reflect how serious the situation can be, but somehow i don't think these guys give a hoot as they have been caught before.

The skipper had told me that they found where they breed, so to me this is blatant theft of our stock, commercial and rsa should not condone this action. I think the courts aught to do three strikes and your out, take the boats away from them.

Edited by barry luxton

Outside of six miles, enforcement is the job of the Marine Fisheries Agency.

I've always found my local MFA office quite helpful with queries.

And both the SFC and MFA fisheries officers like to hear what's going on (under-resourced they can't be everywhere and on everyone's case all of the time, and if no one bothers talking to them, they won't know).

You can find contact details of your local MFA office at: http://www.mfa.gov.uk/contact/portoffice.htm

Regarding management of Recreational Sea Angling, it's still not clear who will ber responsible and how it will work (I've got my own ideas but that would just be pure speculation).

Once the Marine Bill has been passed (or dropped), the new role of SFCs determined, The Marine Management Organisation in place, and an RSA strategy consulted upon publicly and agreed, then we might see more flesh on the bones of the ideas that are being developed, but there's a lot of water to pass under the bridge before then.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Many thanks for the link. i haven't found out how old this is but it is exactly how this other skipper had described the situation, also the amount of fines involved must reflect how serious the situation can be, but somehow i don't think these guys give a hoot as they have been caught before.

The skipper had told me that they found where they breed, so to me this is blatant theft of our stock, commercial and rsa should not condone this action. I think the courts aught to do three strikes and your out, take the boats away from them.

I agree with you barry 100% mate, conservation is a word most certainly not invented by commercial fishermen thats for sure, cheers............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly