Problem with ZERO BYTES

Just discovered this!! Had it before but managed to get rid after uninstalling too many writer progs? Anyway the DVD drive's are ALL showing ZERO BYTES when a new disc is inserted (Running 3 drives d,e and f + of course 'C') All WAS ok but now insert a disc as I say and ALL drives show zero bytes on properties. Plus of course not able to copy? Will read and display recorded discs I.E. programmes.

Any ideas please?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Not sure it will work but harmless to try:

- device manager and remove all the devices

- cmd prompt and chkdsk /f then Yes to doing the checkdisk at next boot.

- reboot

- reinstall the devices

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not sure it will work but harmless to try:

- device manager and remove all the devices

- cmd prompt and chkdsk /f then Yes to doing the checkdisk at next boot.

- reboot

- reinstall the devices

chkdsk only applies to hard drives.

Have you tried a Windows repair? Assuming you're using XP as per the instructions at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

chkdsk only applies to hard drives.

Have you tried a Windows repair? Assuming you're using XP as per the instructions at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

Thanks Newt! It didn't work mate!

Looked at the other repair and I no longer have the disc fro this installation!! But tried another repair and that didn't work either. I THINK it is an installation of NERO 7 which has done thois as I seem to remember last time I installed it I had problems!! And I did have immediate problems but eradicated those after the install. However just rolled back and now ALL drives have dissapeared???

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Going from BAD to WORSE!! Got to roll back to an earlier install (Before Nero 7) and ALL drives apart from c dissapeared!! THEN couldn't get into roll back again!! Eventually did via safe. Then tried to install UBUNTU and that won't bloody work either!!! Anyone got a REAL xp install disc to sell??

Chris Goddard

HAVE I SUSSED IT?? It looks as if I have somehow plced something on the system to be copied to the D. Drive?? But I am not able to copy the files as they don't appear to be there? Where would they be stored in order to copy them??

Chris Goddard

The only way to know is to try to save something else and check the directory. Otherwise I'd check the programmes directory whre the programme you use to copy is installed and if not there then user data in my documents. Uninstall media check disc, thats probably your problem. Also are any of the drives usb? If so they could be going to sleep and then not being picked up by windows, just turn them off and on again. It may also be worth checking if your drives aren't conficting by all being set to master or slave. Just check the jumpers on the back of the drives where the power supply is.

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

No go!! I haven't sussed it though!! NOW getting a "D: Drive is inaccessible!! Now, STILL think it is something to d with a failed install of NERO 7 though.

Anyone else please? As I fear I am going to have to re-install XP!!

Chris Goddard