How to store Boilies

Eddie1962

Hi everyone.

Please could you advise me on how long do boilies keep for (ones I've purchased from a retailer) and how should I store them......ie, should they be in an airtight container?

Many thanks in advance for any replies. Regards Eddie

Airtight container in the fridge probably give the longest life unless they are frozen.

I don't use them often enough to give you good specifics on how long they will last although I can say from bitter experience that if allowed to get damp, the grow mold and go off really fast.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If they are shelf life boilies then an airtight container will be fine. If they are fresh/frozen then there are several ways other than the obvious of keeping them frozen.

The first is to keep them in pellet....a layer of pellet then a layer of boilies then a layer of pellet and so on. The pellet absorbes the moisture from the boilies and ensures they stay in good condition. You can also use sugar instead of pellet. The other way is to airdry them while they are still fresh you can then always rehydrate with a glug of your choice on the bank.

I use the dow egberts coffee jars with the push on glass lids, drives my wife crazy as i leave them around the house. I have currently got some boilies that are over 12months old. They have been soaking in additive. I buy the shelf life jobbies as i do not have the freezer space.

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

Always check the smell and taste of the container you're using to store your boilies in, before you put them in it. A few years ago I bought some cheapy Tupperware copy containers and although they were new and I'd washed them out, they still tainted the boilies with a plasticky smell. And if you do wash a container out make sure you rinse it well as the washing up liquid used can also taint boilies.

Lastly, remember that plastic is porous!

Take care,

Garth.

well i havant been carp fishing for long but when i first started about a year ago i brought a pack of strawberry jam boilies and just twisted the top of the packet after use and left them in the garage, and i last used them about a month ago and they were fine :thumbs:

mike finlay

mike finlay the carpinator