Warwickshire Avon day tickets

Anderoo

I'm still trying for a local barbel (and probably will be for quite some time - in fact the other day I thought of a vital piece of new equipment that someone like Fox or Korum could market: the camo prayer mat) but I'd also like to actually catch one. So, can anyone recommend a day ticket stretch or two on the Warks Avon where I'd have a reasonable chance of a barbel?

Ta folks :thumbs:

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest Brumagem Phil

2 weirs in stratford should be worth a look.

The one furthest from the town centre has a nice gravel run just after it and you can often see the barbel just hanging in the current over it.

Not sure who owns the rights to the main weir (Lucys weir I think its called) but everyone seems to just go and fish it. I think the other weir is actively controlled though and you need to purchase a ticket from the local tackle shop (or so I was told).

Hope that helps a bit.

This page is actually on Angler's Net :DManor Farm

Don't forget, catching big barbel is not easy, read a book.... would be my advice :thumbs:

I'd argue catching a big barbel can be very easy. It depends if you are lucky enough to live near a venue with lots of big ones. However here in Oxford there are few if any places where you can expect to have a good chance of catching any nevermind a big one!

Edited by Richard Capper

This page is actually on Angler's Net :DManor Farm

Don't forget, catching big barbel is not easy, read a book.... would be my advice :thumbs:

I never mentioned a big one! But thanks for the advice.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I never mentioned a big one! But thanks for the advice.

The Town stretch is pay on the bank and is Stratford Town council water, this runs up to the road bridge, the other side of the bridge is Stratford Angling Club (seven meadows) You can pay on the bank here or get a Day ticket from the tackle shop on the Biddford rd. (opposite the shell garage, I forgot the name)

On the town water Lucy's mill has a good head of Barbel, they tend to sit in the slacker water, Most anglers fish for them in the faster water which is a mistake. There is a good swim past the second weir, opposite a willow, the swim is full of streamer weed and the barbel sit in there, one thing I will say is if the main sluice gate is open past the second weir then this area is un-fishable and you should move up stream before the sluice gate.

Also in the Stratford Angling Club water, fish in the calmer water about 3 swims after the weir, yes you can see the barbel on the gravel but it’s easier to catch them from the slower deeper swims below. The 14lb that came out last season was from this area.

Hope this helps.

Also useful link you could try Harvington, which is a renowned barbel area and is day ticket

http://www.fisheries.co.uk/anchormeadow/index.htm

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

The Manor Farm stretch is good with a variety of swims from slow and deep to fast and shallow with a weir thrown in for good measure. Fished it a few years ago but, alas, no barbel. The tackle shop in Alcester has a short stretch with about a dozen pegs, fished that twice and caught my first barbel there, 3 at around 2lbs but a result nonetheless. You need to get a ticket in advance, the shop is at the end of the main street ner the church.

Guest Rabbit

The BAA control a lot of the Avon. day tickets can be obtained from their HQ.

If you fancy a shorter drive try Pershore, very prolific lots of barbel chub and everything else. If you want more info feel free to PM me.

The Manor Farm stretch is good with a variety of swims from slow and deep to fast and shallow with a weir thrown in for good measure. Fished it a few years ago but, alas, no barbel. The tackle shop in Alcester has a short stretch with about a dozen pegs, fished that twice and caught my first barbel there, 3 at around 2lbs but a result nonetheless. You need to get a ticket in advance, the shop is at the end of the main street ner the church.

Ginger Alan at Alcester Takle told me he has given up the stretch, it is now a syndicate water :schmoll:

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Guest Brumagem Phil
The Town stretch is pay on the bank and is Stratford Town council water, this runs up to the road bridge, the other side of the bridge is Stratford Angling Club (seven meadows) You can pay on the bank here or get a Day ticket from the tackle shop on the Biddford rd. (opposite the shell garage, I forgot the name)

On the town water Lucy's mill has a good head of Barbel, they tend to sit in the slacker water, Most anglers fish for them in the faster water which is a mistake. There is a good swim past the second weir, opposite a willow, the swim is full of streamer weed and the barbel sit in there, one thing I will say is if the main sluice gate is open past the second weir then this area is un-fishable and you should move up stream before the sluice gate.

Also in the Stratford Angling Club water, fish in the calmer water about 3 swims after the weir, yes you can see the barbel on the gravel but it’s easier to catch them from the slower deeper swims below. The 14lb that came out last season was from this area.

Hope this helps.

Great info bluerinse!

I'm told night fishing is ok on the town water but not on the seven meadows section, is that about right?

Some clonking great carp in the town section too!!! I've often been tempted to fish for em at night over the bridge in the shallow area near the bird sanctuary by the rowing club! There are some steps at the end of the bridge by the snactuary so it would be easy enough to land them. Never seen any no fishing signs but not sure if fishing there would be frowned upon or not?