Tench

carphead07

hi all

i need some help here on how to catch tench

Ive never caught one before as i havant been coarse fishing for long and i need to no a few tips on ...

* are the tench likely to go into a snag

* what rig/ bait should i use

* what size hooks

* and should i fish to wards some lilies ?

all info is greatly appreciated

mike finlay

mike finlay the carpinator

i am new 2 fishing also but catched my first tench 2 weeks ago using sweetcorn on hairrig and some post me 2 use lunchmeat marinated in curry powder so i am going 2 try that i know its not much but i hpoe it helps

When I was a kid I used to go down to the water where I was fishing and collect some mussels from mud beds using my landing net, we would remove these from the shells and hook them through the tongue on a size 10 hook lengered out at the edge of the mud beds or toward weeds with 1/2oz weight around 12 inches from the hook on a running rig. This worked great. Another method as you say is hair rigged sweetcorn or mini boilies but personally I prefer a float when tench fishing. Just set it up so you bottom weight is just off the bottom so if the tench pick up your hook bait you float will lay flat. Red maggot, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, mussel and of course worm will all work.

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work