Refrigerated waggon @ Whitby 10 pm Fri night.

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

Past Whitby Fish key last night at 10 pm. There was a large refrigerated waggon from peterhead. I managed to see into the back. It was full of fish boxes. Unfortunately I couldnt see into the boxes. Was it fish destined for the black market? I guess Ill never know.

I spoke to a friend who is in the know this morning he says when the waggon is there at night its contents havent seen a quota log book and never will.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

Same friend said he saw a forklift truck loading up a waggon in the early hours earlier this week.

I have no direct proof, but looks to me like the wan---s are at it again. every autmn/winter they get huge catches around this time. For some reason all the cod in this part of the north sea seems to come together in 1 small area, The sea off whitby has always attracted all the cod in autumn. This allows the pair trawlers to round it up. I here there hauls have been excessive in the past 3 weeks. They certainly aint got enough quota for the amount of fish they have allegedly caught, I wonder If they have thrown it all back dead?.

Surely there is someone official you could raise your suspicions to ?

If this is going on as you suspect it's f***ing disgusting. demon

Nice to know there are people like you who actually care about this sort of abuse ...

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

Guest jay_con

Ive just wrote to my Local councillor, Mep and the Eu fisheries commissioner,Perhaps others could do the same?. My Info comes from sound sources, but you always have to be careful not to slander anyone. Ive been told not to use any info that points the finger right at a pecific person.

In January 2005 new EU legislation comes into force (EU178/2002)requiring full traceability for food products. I wonder if this could be used to trap the black market scumbags? If a fish processor can't trace to the supplier, and the supplier to the source, they will be breaking the new law.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Guest jay_con

Salar,

This new legislation may be useful, we will have to wait and see. The commercial fisherman believe whilst there's a wil there's a way, and believe me they know every way possible.

To be honest There is enough legislation in place at the moment to stop black fish. The problem lies with enforcement, or the lack of it. Defra think sailing a Navy ship past Yorkshire once a fortnight, at great expense to the tax payer, is the answer when simpler cheaper methods (eg enforcement of specified landing times, CCTV on the fish key) would be much more effective.

Guest jay_con

Tugmistress,

Im not at all surprised by what you say. Im sure its rife wherever there are commercial fleets. The fact it happens is quite annoying but understandable, the fisherperson simply wants to feed his/her family and like most people today take as much money home from work as possible (sadly this is how our society works). What is most annoying and completely not understandable is the relavent agencies complete inability to do anything about it.

we notice a difference here if the fisheries patrol vessel is around, there are hardly any fishing vessels coming in and landing their catch, if they are not around there are heap loads of them. unfortunately the black fish are already bought when they are landed and the amount of undersized fish we see here is atrocious sometimes

Guest jay_con

Can you tell us more about what you see up there? what happens to the undersize fish? thrown back dead or are they sold as well?

When I post topics such as this on here I usually get 1 of 2 responses : 1. I dont believe you or 2. I dont care

Im glad somebody else who actually comes from a fishing port sees and heres the same things I do.