Two week tour of the Lleyn

izzetafox

Well it's time for the annual family trip to the Lleyn, Llangwnadl to be precise, about 5 miles from Aberdaron.

Taking the yaks, Prowler for fishing and Tobago for the family.

I shall be doing my best to fish as many evenings as possible....weather permitting.

I will venture anywhere I can launch, from Trevor to Porth Colmon to Aberdaron all the way to Black Rock Sands and anywhere in between.

So if you see a numpty on a yak called 'Soggy Fox' and think 'God he's useless!' Be kind and remember I am from Leicester and make allowances for me. Say hello and take the ****.

Drop me a text on 0772 5797182 if you are near by.

At least the dry suit will get some use going by the forecast..

Cheers

Terry

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

Pen Lleyn is beautiful. It's the Welsh version of Cornwall and Lands End. I like seeing water on 3 sides. Surely the weather can't be abysmal for another fortnight? Have fun.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

I know it's a special place....this is our 13th year in the same cottage. It's like Cornwall only less commercialized. Penllech is just behind us, if there are 12 people on a mile and a half of sand we think it's busy.

Edited by izzetafox

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

ckf-1.png

I know it's a special place....this is our 13th year in the same cottage. It's like Cornwall only less commercialized. Penllech is just behind us, if there are 12 people on a mile and a half of sand we think it's busy.

Hmmm, you've got me interested now. I've been looking for an alternative to Land's End when it gets busy in August. Looking forward to the report. Have a great trip :thumbs:

What's the South coast like? Looks like it could offer some sheltered launches (Abersoch?) if the weather doesn't behave.

Edited by paintfly

The only problem with Abersoch in August is all mummy and daddy's teenage kids are there with their student friends, plus the sailing regattas.

Lots of flash cars and silver spoons....OH! and a fair bit of eye candy too.

Aberdaron is much quieter but parking can be a problem. The benefit is the rocks either side, these put you onto deeper water fairly quickly whereas Abersoch is a massive sandy bay. If you do try Abersoch go to the north end beyond the golf course, head for Sarn Bach, turn left up a hill heading towards Bwlchtocyn, as you go past some houses on an 's' bend take the next left, about half a mile further the road takes a sharp right but you go straight on down the hill to the beach car park.

The only thing is if you fish the ebb you will have to walk a hell of a long way back.

Don't write off Pwllheli, very long frontage with loads of free parking just a bit awkward getting onto the beach with protected sand dunes and the beach itself is fine shingle.

Llanbedrog is another with road access straight onto the beach.

Edited by izzetafox

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

ckf-1.png

At low tide you ca walk to the headland west of your launch site. The sand is hard and rippled. You can dig blow lug there as well.

Also try this place just east of the Warrens holiday camp, nice beach tide does not go out so far. Turn left after leaving Llanbedrog towards Abersoch, as you go up the hill there is a very sharp right 'U' turn.

warrens.jpg

This is the road

warrens2.jpg

This is the launch site.

Talking of islands...I don't think those two are too bad but DON'T EVER BE TEMPTED TO GO NEAR BARDSEY OR THE NEARBY CAREG DDU!!!!!

You can sit at the top of Mynnydd Mawr at the end of the Peninsular looking down at the sea and you are about 2 miles from one of the rips but you can hear it roar. It is potential suicide to kayak there on anything but the meekest of tides please don't try it.!!!!!

Edited by izzetafox

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

ckf-1.png

Talking of islands...I don't think those two are too bad but DON'T EVER BE TEMPTED TO GO NEAR BARDSEY OR THE NEARBY CAREG DDU!!!!!

You can sit at the top of Mynnydd Mawr at the end of the Peninsular looking down at the sea and you are about 2 miles from one of the rips but you can hear it roar. It is potential suicide to kayak there on anything but the meekest of tides please don't try it.!!!!!

Noted :thumbs: Actually, I was wondering about the effect of Bardsey when you mentioned Aberdaron, but I guess the bay must be sheltered enough. What about those 2 little islands I can see on my road map Ynys Gwylan Fawr or would that be pushing your luck? Thanks for all the great info, hope we get the weather, I'm off to Lands End/St Ives tomorrow. :sun::clap2:

Those launch sites are interesting, I thought Abersoch and Aberdaron would be almost impossible because of the parking. I've always parked at the top of the hill at Aberdaron...I wouldn't wanna lug a yak up that!

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

There is always the Spa car park short term to drop off or the one near the bridge if you are back by 7pm.

Paintfly I believe you are safe there the race is only near Bardsey Sound, if you go as far as the islands give the next bay a try good depths off the headland should produce.

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

ckf-1.png