X Factor Rudder

Karl K

Chris,

Apols but I've lost your email address so I'm posting the pictures here, hopefully they may be of use to others who are thinking about fitting a rudder- Apols for all the clutter in the background and if the yak looks like its got a rash its macky scales

Rudder in the up or stored position

XF6.jpg

Rudder deployed

XF7.jpg

rear view showing cables entering the hull

XF1.jpg

Pulley rope down side of kayak - used to deploy the rudder

XF2.jpg

As above but different view - rope should be in a padeye but I've damaged it and next job is to replace it!

XF3.jpg

Cable exits hull in footwell

XF4.jpg

Last picture showing both foot controls

XF5.jpg

Hope this is what you needed!

Karl

That's spot on thanks mate , things are a lot clearer now .The instructions on the Malibu web site are cr*p.

Going to pick the kayak up tomorrow with a bit of luck. Quick test paddle on Wednesday and then Ill start fitting it out ,starting with the rudder first followed by the electronics.

Thanks again for your help mate ,this post will probably help out a few others around the world as I cant find anything this good on C.O.D rudders in any of the other forums. :thumbs::thumbs:

Chris

Karl

just noticed 4 th pic down what looks like a tackle box with rod holders attached any chance you can post a pic of that for everybody to look at ?

Still looking for ideas for a crate or tackle box

Thanks Chris

Chris,

Its an igloo coolbox from costco with a couple of rodholders attached, I need a couple of bits to finish it off but I'll post some pictures later in the week. Been searching for a crate to pimp up but can't find one I'm happy with, the collapsable ones have been to flimsy - I'll find one soon. hopefully!!

Good luck with the new yak.

Karl

Richi came up with the igloo box design a long time ago.

Lots of us have them now.

I found the berkley 3 rod holder too wide for my Igloo box so I made my own out of waste pipe.

I also added bungee on top to hold a chopping board.

Bungee on the sides and inside to hold various items and added straps so it can be strapped down to the kayak. I kept the rigging on the tankwell so I can still use the rear bungee when I dont use the coolbox.

Can post pics if it helps anyone.

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

S2VTO

any pics will help for myself and anyothers out there looking for ideas.

Picked my XFactor up today , opened the rudder box and no instuctions just a parts list :blink: , so thanks again Karl for helping out :)

Kayak is all wrapped up chained up and locked!

Will take some tomorrow evening as I am building a storage compartment for it in the garden!

There are millions (well lots) of kayaks rigged on the net. Lots of amazing ideas, some a bit OTT but they all give you ideas.

Remember to rig the kayak to suit you and your style of fishing.

Hopefully get some pics up for you asap tomorrow evening :)

Gota get back to work now

Respite overnight care tonight :)

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Chris,

Didn't want to mention that there were no instructions!!!! What makes it worse is that you don't need all the parts as its designed to fit different kayaks not just the Malibu range. The ones on the Malibu site help a bit but not much, enjoy your new pride & joy and if you need any more photies let me know.

PS make sure that before you cut the cable that the rudder is angled in the opposite direction, otherwise you will cut it too short like I did :wallbash:

KK , Please could you let me know how the foot rest's work in conjunction with the rudder.

I thought the foot rest's wouldnt move ,so you have something solid to push against.

Thanks

Spyro.