X Factor

*Blaze*

Took my X Factor out today for its first paddle , the only other kayak I can compare it with is the Cobra Fish n Dive as I used to own one five years ago.

Launched from Newton slip ( near Porthcawl) used to do a lot winter fishing from the Cobra here . Good for cod and conger.

The weather conditions were good for a test paddle but no good for fishing. Had a steady 15 – 18 mph wind blowing at an angle into the bay. Out on the point the waves were 4 foot breaking. It was hard work paddling into the wind and sea with the kayak wanting to turn, this wasn’t to much of a concern though as I have a rudder just haven’t fitted it yet. I would say a rudder in U.K waters is a must have for this kayak and not a nice to have other wise your going to be in for a punishing paddle if conditions pick up.

Once out to the point the X Factor handled the waves no probs punching through them with no issues with stability. Whilst out there I turned broad side to the break again no probs just rode up and over the waves ,not very comfortable though as you expect. On the way back in I had a following sea and was expecting to get turned on the break but it didn’t happen, tracked strait and true.

When I was back into the bay I tested the stability by sitting side saddle and standing up. The X Factor has very good initial stability , It must of looked odd to people on the beach to see someone standing on a Kayak and drifting at quite some speed due to wind catching me as soon as I stood up. When I sat down again I started to see how far I could lean over, got a fair way over ,when bang I flipped with no other warning. This isn’t a problem its just worth bearing in mind that if you do push the kayak or do something stupid you wont get any warning before going in . This provided me a good chance to see how hard a re entry is with such a heavy kayak when its upside down , again no probs took about 5 seconds to flip the kayak and get back in . :rolleyes:

The only other thing worth mentioning now to anyone looking at this kayak is its weight out of the water (its heavy). The handles aren’t mounted on the balance points so forget using them for loading it, take both hatches out place hands in lift it up roll it onto your forearms and press it up on to the car roof. This I have found is the best technique for me. I wouldn’t recommend solo lifting for anyone who isn’t fit or carrying an injury.

Just so no one jumps on me the conditions weren’t ideal, but I am totally familiar with this location having kayaked here before and I’m also a member of the boat club at Newton. I had a PDF on at all times and had comms. :thumbs:

Hope this helps anyone looking at the Xfactor for a fishing kayak.

Scary conditions for a first paddle in a new kayak! Save your spine mate,you only get one!! From the floor, lift one end of your yak onto your roof rack, then push it on.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

Paddled the X-Factor a couple of years ago and reviewed on AnglesAfloat, my paddle was in the exact opposite to the conditions you were out in, but she is a very stable kayak, a dry ride, not fast, but then again not too heavy a paddle given it's weight, fittings are all good, the only suspect fitting being the attachment of rudder to the hull, this looks a little dainty, but was perfectly serviceable and worked well, very well.

Only real downside is that weight, but saying that those that buy it are likely to be of larger build and probably a lot stronger than most.

Hope she gives you lots of fun and gets you amongst a few nice fish.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com