Rod identification........

Guest Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

I have a rod and no idea what it is or who made it as there are no stickers and no writing.

Its some sort of feeder rod but I only have one tip (the one it came with). Its in 4 pieces with a short butt section which is slightly unusual. It has a cork handle but with a curious gap in the middle with a carbon mesh pattern separating the twp sections.

As you can see from the pics, it has a fuji reel seat. It has 3 leg guides all the way through (except the tip obviously) and the rings appear to be ceramic lined.

Any clues????

post-7401-1185674449_thumb.jpg

post-7401-1185674459_thumb.jpg

post-7401-1185674470_thumb.jpg

Sorry Phil , can't help with the maker but the fact that it's in 4 sections can mean one of two things :-

It could be designed as a travel rod , which sometimes have 4 sections to keep the broken-down rod sections to a smaller size for easy transportation or.....

It could be designed for use a two seperate lengths - Do two of the middle sections both fit into the butt section . It may be that one of them is a 'dolly' section , used to extend the rod to allow it to be used at a longer length. The John Wilson Avon system is in this style , breaking down at the butt , enabling the addition of the dolly section to allow the rod to be used at 11' or 13' depending on conditions .

If it does have a dolly section , this would normally be a parallel blank , with no tapereing on the sidewalls .

Guest Brumagem Phil

Thanks for the reply paul.

I don't think its a travel rod as both the 2nd and 3rd sections both come up to my chest so are well over 4 ft long. The whole rod is 13 ft.

Perhaps the rod came with and alternative first section which is shorter?

Just seems an odd way to do things.

Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will recognise it.

have a rod with a similar butt, if it is like my daiwa sensor avon twin tip, it has with quiver tip,

4 pieces, butt, middle piece, then the tip piece with a yellow push quiver tip. it also has another seperate tip section, which you can use screw in quiver tip or swing tip.

Guest Brumagem Phil
Is the handle rather longer than normal? If so I may have the answer!

I think so yes. Here is another piccy.....scuse my shaky hands causing a blurred pic.

That whole section is 31 inches long and from the reel seat to the butt end is 22 inches.

Thats a small shimano 4000 series match reel on it for comparison.

Hope that helps.

Gonna take a chance that the Avon is now inside its banks and fined down a bit.......catch you later! :-)

post-7401-1185734909_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brumagem Phil

I cant be entirely sure from just the photo Phill but I reckon that what you have there is a rod which has had a screw lock fitting just added in front of the origonal handle?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Brumagem Phil

Thanks budgie. The plastic was still on the corks and there is no sign of it ever having locking rings so I'm not sure anything has been added, although I bow to your experience on that.

I can borrow a decent camera and take some more pics if you can tell me which areas you require greater detail of?

I did a bit of a search last night around the online tackle shops and the only rods which seem to have this carbon gap in the cork handle is tri-cast. Perhaps its an old tri-cast rod, one they dont make any more?

Thanks budgie. The plastic was still on the corks and there is no sign of it ever having locking rings so I'm not sure anything has been added, although I bow to your experience on that.

I can borrow a decent camera and take some more pics if you can tell me which areas you require greater detail of?

I did a bit of a search last night around the online tackle shops and the only rods which seem to have this carbon gap in the cork handle is tri-cast. Perhaps its an old tri-cast rod, one they dont make any more?

Can you take a few pics of the other sections, and post them on here?

Alan.