St Abbs

stevem

Hi All,

I am thinking about a few days exploring/fishing at St Abbs in August. Can anyone recommend this area? Also any pointers for campsites would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve

To be honest Steve the general rough ground fishing at St Abbs is poor. There's Pollock and Wrasse inshore round the Head but it gets deep quick if you go offshore and apart from the reef in front of the harbour you will struggle for decent Cod fishing.

What species do you want to target ? Give me an idea of what your looking for and I will help you out.

You will also be charged to launch at St Abbs. I'm afraid that goes against the grain for me with my Yak. Coldingham bay is a free put in but if the gates closed at the top of the hill it's a bit of a climb.

You might be better to base your self a wee bit further North and camp at Thornton loch. That will place you in a better position for covering some decent ground.

Neil.

To be honest Steve the general rough ground fishing at St Abbs is poor. There's Pollock and Wrasse inshore round the Head but it gets deep quick if you go offshore and apart from the reef in front of the harbour you will struggle for decent Cod fishing.

What species do you want to target ? Give me an idea of what your looking for and I will help you out.

You will also be charged to launch at St Abbs. I'm afraid that goes against the grain for me with my Yak. Coldingham bay is a free put in but if the gates closed at the top of the hill it's a bit of a climb.

You might be better to base your self a wee bit further North and camp at Thornton loch. That will place you in a better position for covering some decent ground.

Neil.

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of St Abbs area for a bit of cod or pollock fishing.

I live in the newcastle area and don't want to be driving too far(only got 3 days). I have never fished up there so was going to give it a bash.

Its going to be up that way or across to kirkudbright.

Just found thorntonloch on the map. Can I camp wherever around there or can you recommend a site?

Steve

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of St Abbs area for a bit of cod or pollock fishing.

I live in the newcastle area and don't want to be driving too far(only got 3 days). I have never fished up there so was going to give it a bash.

Just found thorntonloch on the map. Can I camp wherever around there or can you recommend a site?

Steve

Never fished up there myself, but I did notice this video on YouTube a couple of days ago which made me fancy taking a bit of a drive! No sign of any cod, but wrasse galore!

BTW, if you haven't got a copy already, David Storey's The Codling Crouch is a great book about fishing marks up the North East coast and well worth picking up.

Hi Neil

Steve

Steve,

You can camp at Thorntonloch, behind the caravan park. Speak to the couple in reception that run the site, they will sort you out. There's usually a few campers and surfers there at weekends.

You mentioned Kirkudbright as an alternative. Brighouse bay is your answer for that mission, cracking camp site and an easy, safe launch for the Kayak. Loads of ground to explore around here as well. Just watch the headlands on the bigger tides for some of the rips, they flow at fair rate at times.

Plenty different species to catch, well worth a go.

Neil.

Steve,

You can camp at Thorntonloch, behind the caravan park. Speak to the couple in reception that run the site, they will sort you out. There's usually a few campers and surfers there at weekends.

You mentioned Kirkudbright as an alternative. Brighouse bay is your answer for that mission, cracking camp site and an easy, safe launch for the Kayak. Loads of ground to explore around here as well. Just watch the headlands on the bigger tides for some of the rips, they flow at fair rate at times.

Plenty different species to catch, well worth a go.

Neil.

Thanks for that neil. Kirkudbright it is.

Steve