Starter Kit

DexterToo

Hi All,

I've been reading up and lurking in the forums for a couple of months now and think I'm ready to bite the bullet.

So kit..... I read that cheap stuff off ebay will just self destruct and I'm better off going to a tackle shop.

I plan on doing a little pier / rocks / beach fishing so a good all round 10' - 11' rod seems in order, any suggestions?

A reel? my knowledge here is very low, any advice appreciated.

hooks, rigs, line, bait.... the list goes on

anything I realy should avoid?

Personally, I prefer a longer rod, and wouldn't choose a shorter one just because I intended fishing piers or rocks. 11' min, preferably 12' or 13'.

Rods are set up with eyes appropriate to either fixed spool or multiplier use, so you need to buy the appropriate version for the kind of reel you choose. Choice of reel is down to personal choice, really. Although more cumbersome, fixed spool reels are easier to learn to use, so I would suggest that you go down that route.

Generally, bait. Lures are useful in a narrower range of situations, IMO. Depends where and when you fish, though, for instance if you intended to mainly fish in the Summer from rocky shores in the West Country you could get plenty of fishing done with lures only.

Be aware that most forms of lure fishing require much lighter tackle than ordinary shore fishing with bait. A beachcaster designed to chuck 4-6oz leads won't be able to cast a 1oz lure.

You’ll first need a beachcaster in the 4-8oz range - there are an endless number available with your final choice being dependent on factors such as budget restrictions and the particular demands of local conditions i.e. whether you're going to be fishing clean beaches or rough ground. Try to ask a few people in your local area for some suggestions.

Your choice of reel is first split between a multiplier reel or a fixed spool. (it's a matter for personal choice really) but if you take the multiplier option I would recommend the Abu 6500 Mag Elite reel (available in level wind and non-level wind versions) - the older style green ones have just been discontinued and are now available for about £70 or a Penn 525 Supermag (or a second hand earlier version) - whichever you prefer. I use an Abu but the Penn would be a bit better for fishing rough ground. If you do decide on a multiplier make sure you get a reel with magnetic braking to facilitate casting - both these reels I've mentioned are mag reels. You should also be aware that rods differ in that they are rung differently to accept either a multiplier or fixed spool reel so it is important to decide on what kind of reel you wish to use before purchasing your rod. If you prefer a fixed spool reel someone else may be able to offer more specific advice but Daiwa, Penn and Shimano are good choices of make.

For beaches you'll also need some sort of rod support and I would recommend the Pro Tripod with Deluxe Leg Loc from Veals - it'll last forever. However if you are fishing rock marks and harbour walls as well as beaches the telescopic tripod from Veals rather than the Pro may be a better option as it is more adjustible and can be adapted better to different marks. It's also easier to transport and a bit cheaper.

As for weights and rig links/clips I would recommend stuff from the Breakaway or Gemini ranges. A Gemini disgorger would be useful too. A few 4/7oz (depending on local conditions) breakaway weights would be good to start. Get the links and weights directly from their respective sites.

As for monofilament line any of Ultima Tournament Gold or Distance, Daiwa Sensor, Suffix Tritanium, Penn Super Surf or Berkley Trilene in 20lb breaking strain would do for starters but you might wish to go a touch stronger for rough ground conditions. Ask at your local tackle shop about this (they should be a good source of advice). Any of the above brands are fine - you'll eventually decide on your own personal favourite. A spool of 20lb Amnesia line would be a good choice for making hook lengths.

You'll also need some shockleader. 60lb Ultima Powerflex should do the job but you could also use the Powerflex tapered shock leaders instead of the normal. These are useful if you go for a level wind option on your reel.

For hooks a range of good brand name such as Varivas, Partridge, Kamasan, Mustad or Owner from size 4 through to size 4/0 (this range covers seven different hook sizes with 4 being the smallest and 4/0 the largest) should cover you for most shore situations although I fish the south east of England so your own local conditions such as species of fish available may dictate otherwise. You may only really need a narrower range.

You'll also need some rigs and good quality swivels which you can get from your local tackle shop or online at the stores listed below. I would also recommend some ready made rigs at first and then use them as templates to make your own later on. D.W Rigs on ebay is another good source of quality rigs at a good price. Flappers and pulley pennels would be good to begin with.

You may also need a slidiing reel seat if your rod does not have a fitted reel seat. If so the Abu Grip Loc is a good bit of kit.

In addition to the disgourger you'll also need a few other basic tools such as decent knife, priest, line clippers and long nosed pliers as well as some bait elastic for delicate baits. Red Wolf make a decent clippers/pliers kit. A small plastic kitchen chopping board will also come in handy for cutting up bait and avoiding blunting your knife.

Good sites to look around for kit on are:

Veals

Spotty Dog Tackle

Breakaway Tackle

Gemini Tackle

Finally as far as ebay is concerned if you do your homework and know what you're after and what its worth good bargains are available.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Lucky - a lot of info there.

I was doing fine until you told me I'm going to need a priest, now I'm a bit worried.

I assume your priest isn't the kind with rosary beads and a crucifix?

Enlighten me please :-)

Google and define:priest

(Fishing) A short, wooden club used for subduing wild fish thrashing in the boat.

outdoorstore.espn.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yes as Newt said its a wooden club to dispatch any fish that you're not going to return. It sounds a bit brutal but it's better than letting them slowly suffocate. I should also have mentioned that a rod 12 to 13 foot long would be best.