First Fish on First Trip

nasher

I managed to get out on my new Yak tonight after buying one secondhand on Sunday.

After finishing work at seven I decided to go for a paddle from Maenporth(nr Falmouth). My original Idea was to just have a paddle and practice getting into the Yak if I capsized. I did this for about ten minutes and then decided I might as well have a fish.

I used my 10ft spinning rod to troll a wedge behind the Yak. I don't have either rod holders or a padddle holder so I stuck the rod under my legs whilst paddling which seemed to work ok.

The fun came when i had a bite, trying to balance the paddle on the Yak whilst reeling in then trying to find somewhere to put the rod whilst I took care of the fish.

Anyway it was all good fun and a succesfull first trip, 3 mackerel in less than an hour on the water.

Looking forward to a longer trip now. :thumbs:

I managed to get out on my new Yak tonight after buying one secondhand on Sunday.

After finishing work at seven I decided to go for a paddle from Maenporth(nr Falmouth). My original Idea was to just have a paddle and practice getting into the Yak if I capsized. I did this for about ten minutes and then decided I might as well have a fish.

I used my 10ft spinning rod to troll a wedge behind the Yak. I don't have either rod holders or a padddle holder so I stuck the rod under my legs whilst paddling which seemed to work ok.

The fun came when i had a bite, trying to balance the paddle on the Yak whilst reeling in then trying to find somewhere to put the rod whilst I took care of the fish.

Anyway it was all good fun and a succesfull first trip, 3 mackerel in less than an hour on the water.

Looking forward to a longer trip now. :thumbs:

Nice one Nasher :thumbs: Firsts are fantastic arnt they? :thumbs: There will be MANY more so keep at it!

All the best..................SeaDooDavid~~~~~ :sun:

Congratulations on those first fish Nasher (I'm still waiting !)

I'm in Falmouth in a weeks time time and intend to fish Meanporth / swanpool etc from my ocean frenzy .

How far out did you have to go to contact the mackeral ?

When using the wedge did you use extra weights on the line ?

Thanks

Nasher get a paddle leash as soon as possible definitely before your next trip. :o

Seriously mate you are taking your life in your hands. No paddle.=.no way home, all you need then is an off shore wind or strong tide/current and you could be miles away before anyone notices.

I lost a paddle recently ...fortunately I had a spare 2 piece in the hull of my P13.

It did not stop my missus arranging for as much embarrassment as possible...

I have had 21 postcards from all over Europe from my beloved lost paddle...the grandkids are loving it!!!!!

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png