St Davids

boomphat

I should be going to St Davids tomorrow, can anybody suggest good places to park and have a paddle?

A couple of launch points spring to mind.

Porthclais to the sout hof St Davids. Free car parking beyond the cafe (don't park in the first sapce you see, they charge. There is a small £1 lauch fee per kayak.

Solva is also good if you get the tides right. You can float the kayak down the river and then arrive back at your car on high tide.

You could also launch from Whitsands beach car park. Not tried this. Should be fine in the bay but beware of strong currents near Ramsey sound and off St David's head.

Have fun. The forecast looks good.

Rich.

A couple of launch points spring to mind.

Porthclais to the sout hof St Davids. Free car parking beyond the cafe (don't park in the first sapce you see, they charge. There is a small £1 lauch fee per kayak.

Solva is also good if you get the tides right. You can float the kayak down the river and then arrive back at your car on high tide.

You could also launch from Whitsands beach car park. Not tried this. Should be fine in the bay but beware of strong currents near Ramsey sound and off St David's head.

Have fun. The forecast looks good.

Rich.

Thanks for that, theres a campsite at Porthclais too. Should be there this afternoon. Will report back next week.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

• 2 weeks later...

Richard Lawrence... thanks for your responses.

Porthclais..we couldnt get near it, and the campsites were full

Solva..car park was rammed the first time, when we went back early the next day and got a space, the river was so low you couldn't launch anything!

Whitsands looked amazing, but it was £2.70 to park, so I didn't. St Davids was mad busy so we moved further south

I eventually launched from Nolton Haven, Dale, Freshwater East and Wiseman's Bridge. It was so calm at Dale my wife had a paddle!

Some of those beaches down there are fantastic, Freshwater West was the best, but I didn't want a public dunking in the surf.

I saw loads of sit on tops down there, including funny Tek XTSea ones that I never saw before.

Weathermen promised 45mph winds today so we came home...and its a nice morning (sack the lot of them).

Richard Lawrence... thanks for your responses.

Porthclais..we couldnt get near it, and the campsites were full

Do you mean Pencarnan Farm? That is quite a big site and I would be surprised if it was full. I stayed there last year and thought it was excellent, although a little bit pricey. I also thought it was free to launch a boat from the beach there and I can't think where the cafe is. We walked from Pencarnan Farm along the coastline to Whitesands every day and only saw the cafe at Whitesands car park.

I spent countless hours fishing off the rocks with bait and lures but didn't get a bite - or even see a fish come to that. The sea off St David's Head looked absolutely terrifying and I was really worried about hooking anything bigger than a mackerel.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

There are plenty of fish to be caught fromSt Davids

Wrasse in numbers

Plenty of double figure Bull Huss and Conger at night

Bass, flounder, dab, whiting, pollack etc

Lots of good spots around the head but big fish hard to land, I have lost many double figure Huss there but landed a 15lb conger

Conditions can be rough, never been out there on a kayak. The surf from the beach would make it difficult to launch

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Twas Porthclais Farm itself, most campsites I visited were full and overpriced, they charge per tent, per person, per car, per dog, everything! I'm sure they charge you for farting in the night too.

I know I'm spoilt up here in NW Wales, but Pembrokeshire has coastline in excess! To walk the entire Coastal Path would take a VERY long time.

Twas Porthclais Farm itself, most campsites I visited were full and overpriced, they charge per tent, per person, per car, per dog, everything! I'm sure they charge you for farting in the night too.

I know I'm spoilt up here in NW Wales, but Pembrokeshire has coastline in excess! To walk the entire Coastal Path would take a VERY long time.

Not that long really, you could do it in a fortnight easily with time to enjoy. I've done it in sections over the years on foot and bike.

The camping is expensive this time of year compared to other places in Wales but if you know where to look you can get a good price.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I