Back from the Lleyn

izzetafox

I know it's late but here's a brief report on my two weeks on the Lleyn. I have been working flat out 12 hour shifts and holiday cover...plus been blitzing Ebay to raise money for a week at Aberdaron in September. :)

First I must say Hi to Boomphat...I met him in Tesco's carpark in Bangor on the way down. He spotted me by the Yaks on the car roof. What a nice guy.

Sorry we didn't get to Llanberis mate. :(

Anyway fishing was interupted by family committments so trips were a bit limited but here goes....

Nefyn bay evening on ebbing tide, fished about half a mile out at anchor with shrimp rigs and only bait I had on fgirst evening...lob worms from lawn at home. Well the whiting love 'em any way. Only small but they were my first ever fish from the yak. Then a small plaice which was a nice surprise.

I then decided to have a troll around to see if the depth varied...mainly flat clean bottom aroun 25 ft. Picked up a nice mackie abou 1 1/2 lbs on feathers.

Dinner time so went back.

Porth Colmon, used the mackie and lob worm again on shrimp rig and a few chunks on bottom rig. Had a coupl of small ballans and pollack and doggies on the bottom. I stuck to the rough ground just off the rocks, there was a lot of swell and offshore wind so being solo played it safe.

Pwlhwelli. Launched from the spit at the harbour entrance by the caravan site. I made my way around to fish 1/2 mile off the Gimlet 28ft of water 1 hour after high tide.

Gave the feathers a go for a bit of fresh bait and second cast had 2, 4 cast another 3.

Again the faithfull shrimp rig came out with mack strips hoping the bream might be about, very slow at first but then I saw 'fish' on the sounder at 20 ft so I reeled up a couple of turn, more in hope than anticipation, well the rig had hardly moved when bang, bang a couple of mackies, which were shaken off ( without touching ;D ). From then on the sounder was going daft and it was non-stop mackies. After 30 plus returned I thought I should try a move to see if the bream were around, I could not avoid the mackies.

Went a mile towards Abererch. Fished shrimp rig and bottom rig. All I could get then was doggies and a couple more mackies. Fun but not what I was looking for.

These were my only evening trips :-/

Had a few 1 hour sessions whilst on the beach with family.

Nefyn whiting and plaice again. Several time.

Couple of trips at Aberdaron over to the cliffs west side of the beach. Wow!! What a beautiful are ;D I had pollack every time only a few and not monsters, up to a pound or so and one bonus bass about 2 1/2. All on spun rubber eels.

It was these beach trips that caused the problems wife and grandkids have really got the bug. ;)

I could not get on the water alone o do much fishing. Then because of the numbers it had to be the Tobago to fit the kids on.

Photo12_10A.jpg

Suddenly though my grandson discovered the pleasures of the P13. He had launching mastered in no time and there was no stopping him

Photo18_16A.jpg

He now want one of his own and is working out how to raise £500! At 12 years old that is a mountain.

The problem for me was getting him out!!

I had a great time and the fishing looks great from my limited experience but as I say I will be back in September. I have a van in Aberdaron itself and can walk to the beach so hopefully..weather permitting I will try again, NO GRANDKIDS this time ;)

Edited by izzetafox

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

great stuff

I have recently returned from a week yaking at aberdaron and have to agree its a beautifull.

Did well for school bass and plenty of those small pollack you mention !

My father caught a nice fish on fly within yards of the beach too http://www.llynangling.net/php/photos.php?giid=35

The old welsh shore pollack record was broken to cliffs to the east of the bay so i recon there may still be bigger pollack out there too.

Some of the North coast is well worth exploring and theres always a chance of seeing porpoise and even sunfish and turtles!

Nefyn bay through up a nice suprise a mackrael in two feet of water at LOW tide! but i do prefer the rocky outcrops of Porthdinllaen.

Might even see you out on the water in September

Was good to meet you too Mr Fox! We were paddling at Aberdaron also, the weekend before last.

You certainly get about a bit mate...I envy you.

When we go down in September we have got a caravan just behind the Spar so I should be able to just wheel the yak round the corner. No parking problems ++++ I can have a few beers and a meal at The Ship without worrying about driving. :clap2:

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png