Thames

Blackwater14

Hi all ,

hello to every one at AN as this is my first post :thumbs:

As i am from Northern Ireland i have not had a chance to fish for barbel and chub and this year i hope to succeed in cathing hopefully a couple. This year my family and I are travelling to the thames on the 12th of August for a boating holiday. I would just be interested in some information about the fishing the thames in general for fish such as roach, bream, dace and then some info about cathing the barbel and chub (rigs, bait, swims etc)

Thanks,

Blackwater

Barbel are pretty rare in the Thames near me, apart from one very private stretch that has a waiting list of about 10 years!

Where abouts will you be boating? I'd guess an EA weir ticket could suit you well! Lock keepers can be a great source of info on where to catch what!

Rich

Barbel are pretty rare in the Thames near me, apart from one very private stretch that has a waiting list of about 10 years!

Where abouts will you be boating? I'd guess an EA weir ticket could suit you well! Lock keepers can be a great source of info on where to catch what!

Rich

hi

thanks for the reply

well we are picking the boat up in reading and then we can just go where we wish. What is the fishing like on the thames after the floods has it died off or got better??? I have heard a place called sunbury can produce some barbel but not 100% sure. Are the other species i mention widespread through out the system.

Thanks again

Blackwater

hi

thanks for the reply

well we are picking the boat up in reading and then we can just go where we wish. What is the fishing like on the thames after the floods has it died off or got better??? I have heard a place called sunbury can produce some barbel but not 100% sure. Are the other species i mention widespread through out the system.

Thanks again

Blackwater

In Oxford the river is still quite high but is almost back to normal, and the colour is much improved. I haven't tried fishing it yet - it's likely to be tricky still, there's still a lot of flow and turbulance. For barbel you'll want the lower river like Sunbury, Walton, Hampton Court, Kingston, etc. The upper river only has a very light sprinkling of barbel these days. They are there, but good luck if you try to catch one! Roach, bream, chub and perch are in good numbers throughout all stretches.

A word of warning, take it steady on the boat. We see a lot of boaters going way too fast and beaching themselves on sandbars :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi

Thanks again for the info. While the thread is on i would like to find out about zander, is there a chance of cathing any when pike fishing or should i specifically target them.

Thanks,

Blackwater

As far as I'm aware there are no Zander in the Thames near Oxford at least. I've never seen or heard of anyone catching them in the Thames at all. Maybe there are some downstream but not as far as I know!

Rich

• 5 weeks later...