Snapped by a big pike

Unimexsol

If you use decent braid, then you won't have a problem, Power Pro is the bench mark. You need to choose it according to diameter rather than breaking strain and I'd suggest a minimum of 50lb. I doubt there's a pike in the UK that could snap 50lb braid, so tethering is more of a theoretical problem. Just check it for fraying if you pull out of a snag.

From your description, I'm sure braid wouldn't have parted in the situation you described.

Edited by Grandma

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Grandma, before I switch are there any other negatives to braid? If not I'll switch lines in the next week or so, certainly before I go fishing again.

Bear in mind that most of my fishing is done between 2-20ft away, I'm not casting miles. Indeed most of the best that I've had have been taken from bites less than 6ft out.

Thanks

The only negatives I've seen are with cheap braid, and it's snapped for no apparent reason. I haven't had a problem with power pro and it's been on my reels for a few seasons now. I also haven't heard of anyone else having a problem with it. You need to keep an eye on braid if you're fishing trough abrasive snags like rocks and tree stumps, it's very tough, but not indestructable. Fishing through weed should not be a problem.

It's more expensive than nylon initially, but after a couple of seasons it works out cheaper because it lasts a lot longer.

It dosen't stretch so you need to keep your rod bent when playing a fish, to avoid slack line. Also every movement of the fish is transferred to the rod rather than getting absorbed by the nylon, so there's more 'feel'.

I know you're a chef Andy but you were'nt eating raw meat before posting that were you

Bit strong for someone seeking advice for future fishing trips, nodody and I mean nobody gets it right during their first few piking trips especially those for whom some kind of coaching or advice is not readily available or even non existent as in this case

I don't think that's strong at all. Imagine for a minute that you are out fishing and you come across another angler on your favourite pike water. The usual "Any luck?" conversation starter begins, followed by,

"I just got snapped off by a big Pike"

"How big?"

"It was bigger than 18lbs for sure"

"What line are you using?"

"I don't know, it could have been 13lbs or possibly 18lbs but I actually have no idea. Hold on and I'll check the spool. Oh it's actually 11 Kilo!!. At least I wasn't using trebles. I was using a sea-hook"

Now I'm sure you have the patience of a saint Brian but don't try and tell me that kind of information would sit comfortably with you if a similar conversation took place on your favourite venue. I'm absolutely certain you'd have more to say on the subject than,

"Better luck next time eh!"

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I don't think that's strong at all. Imagine for a minute that you are out fishing and you come across another angler on your favourite pike water. The usual "Any luck?" conversation starter begins, followed by,

"I just got snapped off by a big Pike"

"How big?"

"It was bigger than 18lbs for sure"

"What line are you using?"

"I don't know, it could have been 13lbs or possibly 18lbs but I actually have no idea. Hold on and I'll check the spool. Oh it's actually 11 Kilo!!. At least I wasn't using trebles. I was using a sea-hook"

Now I'm sure you have the patience of a saint Brian but don't try and tell me that kind of information would sit comfortably with you if a similar conversation took place on your favourite venue. I'm absolutely certain you'd have more to say on the subject than,

"Better luck next time eh!"

I really didn't want to get into this but your negative and unhelpful comments have forced me to respond.

The line that I was fishing with was heavier than I initially thought and is in excess of that recommended by the PACGB although I would ask whether a 13lb or an 18lb breaking strain an acceptable bs for a piking line? In most fishing books the answer would be Yes (I've just checked the first book of the shelf - John Wilson's The Complete Coarse Fisherman and he suggests 9-11lb bs). If I'd been using 5lb bs or no trace then I could appreciate your comments but as it is I would consider that the line that I was using was more than sufficient for most situations.

Have you ever been snapped up by a pike Andy? What not ever? Well, imagine you had, would you have the humility to come onto a public forum and ask for suggestions as to why it might have happened?

Saying things like "You have no business to be fishing for pike" is not only unhelpful but absolute bs. I think you'll find that I pay the same for my rod license as you do and I'm sure that when you check your license there is no rule as to what line you choose to use in respect of any species.

If you care about fishing and the fish then you should seek to re-educate, not condemn.

I look forward to receiving more constructive replies in future, after all the purpose of forums such as this is to help each other isn't it?

Fair comments above

IIRC the reccomended line (mono) for piking is 15lb but I suppose it does depend on where you fish as to wether you step things up due to weed & snags.

I see no reason not to use Powerpro even if it is 'unsporting' lol The only issues may be if you happen to fish rocky swims where abrasion will damage the line.

Edited by Neil G

I really didn't want to get into this but your negative and unhelpful comments have forced me to respond.

I didn't force you to do anything

The line that I was fishing with was heavier than I initially thought and is in excess of that recommended by the PACGB although I would ask whether a 13lb or an 18lb breaking strain an acceptable bs for a piking line?

18 is perfectly acceptable. IMHO 13 is too light for most applications

In most fishing books the answer would be Yes (I've just checked the first book of the shelf - John Wilson's The Complete Coarse Fisherman and he suggests 9-11lb bs).

John Wilson says a lot of things. 9-11 is a lot of crap

If I'd been using 5lb bs or no trace then I could appreciate your comments

I didn't ask you to appreciate my comments

but as it is I would consider that the line that I was using was more than sufficient for most situations.

It probably would be yes but you didn't know until after you had lost a fish what line you had on. It might as well have been 5lb bs for all you knew

Have you ever been snapped up by a pike Andy? What not ever?

No I've never been snapped by a Pike. No, not ever.

Well, imagine you had, would you have the humility to come onto a public forum and ask for suggestions as to why it might have happened?

Not really. I've been fishing since I was 8. I know what line I use, how strong it is and whether or not it's in good enough condition for targetting pike

Saying things like "You have no business to be fishing for pike" is not only unhelpful but absolute bs.

I'll help you if you wish but BS it's not. If you lose pike and you can't even identify the line on your reel, you have far more to learn about the rudiments of angling before you even consider specimen angling

I think you'll find that I pay the same for my rod license as you do and I'm sure that when you check your license there is no rule as to what line you choose to use in respect of any species.

I live in Scotland. I don't need one. You would know that if you bothered to notice that 1) I'm Scottish and 2) There's no rod license in Scotland

If you care about fishing and the fish then you should seek to re-educate, not condemn.

I didn't condemn you at all and if you seek information, by all means ask

I look forward to receiving more constructive replies in future, after all the purpose of forums such as this is to help each other isn't it?

Something like that yes

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...