Twaite or Allis shad?

macky1

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

There must've been a few of 'em about today!!!!!

South Parade Pier, Southsea, Hants.

Nice day ... 14 mackies on the float and 'Southend Rig'; 1 pollack, 2 bream and Allis!

sppallis.jpg

Like I said on the other Forum, Macky: no way to tell without a gill raker count. Twaite shad have only 40-60 gill-rakers (comb-like structures that are used to filter zooplankton) on the first gill arch, whereas Allis shad have 90-130.

Twaite's are found up the rivers (fairly prolific in R Dee) in Wales and are a protected species -

Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981), (amended April 1998)

Most open-sea/coastal catches tend to be Allis.

Both species are protected by Appendix III of the Bern Convention and Annexes II and V of the EC Habitats Directive. It is an offence to intentionally obstruct access to spawning areas, or to damage or destroy gravels used for spawning.

<_<

Edited by H.A.

I'm only kiddin', Macky.

Yes, the raker count is the most definitive way to sort them, but you can't do that when returning the fish. It's only done in a dissection.

Best put 'em straight back and call an open-sea fish an Allis and a river (fly-caught?) fish a Twaite!

Regards :thumbs:

Ada