Suffolk piking 29/09/07

Mark Crame

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi BB

Which lures do you use to target the larger pike?

Simon

I have been using big jellies, Mann Giga and Mega grubs, Dawgs, Replicants and Fox super twin tails. All these lures are over a foot long, vertually impossible to cast but ideal for trolling.

Don't get me wrong, Big S will catch large pike and big jellies will catch small ones but from my experience bigger is better, unfortunately for me, thats what the wife says too :secret:

Bb

From my old coarse fishing days I have a lure shaped like a small jack pike - about 10inches long. Never been used; have you heard if these have caught? I bought a freshwater licence this year so hoping to do some pike fishing this winter.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

From my old coarse fishing days I have a lure shaped like a small jack pike - about 10inches long. Never been used; have you heard if these have caught? I bought a freshwater licence this year so hoping to do some pike fishing this winter.
'

Yep, there are a few manufactures who make them, some of my friends swear by them, I've never had one, I'm a rapala man myself.

Bb

Trouble is I love them all. I'd rather two 1lb jacks than one 5lb jack. I like the fun of quantity over the wait for quality. I've had quality but just like to see the stuff. Hell, I even get a kick out of landing chairs.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Trouble is I love them all. I'd rather two 1lb jacks than one 5lb jack. I like the fun of quantity over the wait for quality. I've had quality but just like to see the stuff. Hell, I even get a kick out of landing chairs.

Yeah so would I, but what about two 1lb jacks or one 30lb monster. As for chairs, when ever I hook into them I cut them free, dirty, slimey, smelly things, the don't fight well either. Shopping trollies though, now we're talking :thumbs: .

Bb

Two fish is two fish mate.

My second pike was 22lb 4oz. I had a 23lb 6oz a couple of years later. As you know I've had stuff that the record pike could be bait for (as have you). Two fish is two stories, it's two fish to see and hold, its two breaks in the afternoon. It's two successes. If i wanted a 30 then i'd have to put in so many hours of blanking, or of being disappointed with a good double - what's the point in that? I go for fun, i'm not a carper, whatever I get is welcome. best daysfishing i had since picking my rods up again was Starvins tournament, the species hunt. Brilliant! Most of the captures were under 4 inches long.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Two fish is two fish mate.

My second pike was 22lb 4oz. I had a 23lb 6oz a couple of years later. As you know I've had stuff that the record pike could be bait for (as have you). Two fish is two stories, it's two fish to see and hold, its two breaks in the afternoon. It's two successes. If i wanted a 30 then i'd have to put in so many hours of blanking, or of being disappointed with a good double - what's the point in that? I go for fun, i'm not a carper, whatever I get is welcome. best daysfishing i had since picking my rods up again was Starvins tournament, the species hunt. Brilliant! Most of the captures were under 4 inches long.

Yeah , I agree I would rather catch something than blank, I have caught hundreds of pike, most are small, and some of those fish I can rember because of the curcumstances that they were caught under rather than for the fish its self. Just like you at the speices hunt but I can remember ALL the big fish I have caught, are they more enjoyable to catch, probably not, are they more memorable, definitely. That why I like to target the larger fish, I feel larger lures tip the edge into my favour, they give me confidence, which is why you like the Big S. You claim you have caught more pike on Big S's than any other lure, the truth is that although you may start fishing with another lure, if you have not caught a fish within a short time you swap over to the "Old favourite" if it then catches it reinforces its fish catching qualities, if it blanks it doesn't loose any ceditabilty its "just one of those days" the fish weren't bitting.

Large or unusual catches ARE more memorable :camera: , I would like to bet you will remember catching the chair long after you have forgoten about most of the pike you have caught.

Bb

Edited by bucketboy