Just a quick Ahhhhhhhhh picture!

Chris Goddard

Just come back to this and sorry Jigotai, missed you post!! I had a silkie hatch from the last hatching but unfortunately she/he didn't make it? Just never got much bigger and put the chicks outside and it simply died!? But from the 9 which hatched I have still got 5 despite ALL the best efforts of the associated shite hawks!!

Anyway, just got the latest hatch under way on Friday, I now have 12 chicks and one just chipping so 13 all being well. I had one clear egg and one which I know went in a day late!! I broke one egg to check and there WAS a chick growing!! So lost that. Which means from 15 eggs I WOULD have had 14 chicks!! Which for a beginner is I think pretty good!! And at LAST I have found my one true vocation in life!! It took a LONG time, but here it is!!

post-1123-1194194112_thumb.jpg

The breeds are from the first hatch, Buff orpingtons x 3 and Coq du Rennes x 2 surviving. And from this hatch I reckon around 10 are Light Sussex and rest are Rhode island crosses.

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Just come back to this and sorry Jigotai, missed you post!! I had a silkie hatch from the last hatching but unfortunately she/he didn't make it? Just never got much bigger and put the chicks outside and it simply died!? But from the 9 which hatched I have still got 5 despite ALL the best efforts of the associated shite hawks!!

Anyway, just got the latest hatch under way on Friday, I now have 12 chicks and one just chipping so 13 all being well. I had one clear egg and one which I know went in a day late!! I broke one egg to check and there WAS a chick growing!! So lost that. Which means from 15 eggs I WOULD have had 14 chicks!! Which for a beginner is I think pretty good!! And at LAST I have found my one true vocation in life!! It took a LONG time, but here it is!!

post-1123-1194194112_thumb.jpg

The breeds are from the first hatch, Buff orpingtons x 3 and Coq du Rennes x 2 surviving. And from this hatch I reckon around 10 are Light Sussex and rest are Rhode island crosses.

Hi Chris,

13 from 15 is good going even for a commercial breeder.

The three silkies that hatched from my batch are doing well and are in with the other chickens now. The only problem I've got is the ratio of cockerels to hens. I already had two and now out of the three chicks I think I've two more, that's two hens and four cockerels. :wallbash: Anyway I'm now looking for homes for them (the wife and kids won't let me cook them).

What make of incubator are you using. I borrowed the one I used but it was a bit basic and I had problems with humidity. I'm going to give it another go in the spring and was thinking of investing in a better one.

Andy

Hi Chris,

13 from 15 is good going even for a commercial breeder.

The three silkies that hatched from my batch are doing well and are in with the other chickens now. The only problem I've got is the ratio of cockerels to hens. I already had two and now out of the three chicks I think I've two more, that's two hens and four cockerels. :wallbash: Anyway I'm now looking for homes for them (the wife and kids won't let me cook them).

What make of incubator are you using. I borrowed the one I used but it was a bit basic and I had problems with humidity. I'm going to give it another go in the spring and was thinking of investing in a better one.

Andy

Got it frol Eaby! Cost me £74 plus post I think? But a LONG way cheaper than anything else!! I'll have a look for one for you. And here it is!! (110189160300) Excellent service!! And the biggest thing in determening cocks to hens ratio is HEAT!! Too hot will get you cocks!! I recon I have got from the eleven survivors at least eight cocks!! But they ALL taste the same on there backs!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Got it frol Eaby! Cost me £74 plus post I think? But a LONG way cheaper than anything else!! I'll have a look for one for you. And here it is!! (110189160300) Excellent service!! And the biggest thing in determening cocks to hens ratio is HEAT!! Too hot will get you cocks!! I recon I have got from the eleven survivors at least eight cocks!! But they ALL taste the same on there backs!!

Cheers Chris, that looks a good one.

Interesting what you say about the heat, as I remember the temp was close to the top end of what is recommended during my first attempt.

Talking of ebay, have you ever tried any of the hatching eggs you can get. My brother has tried a few, but it's a bit hit and miss. He has tried three batches, one batch of chickens, a batch of guinea fowl and a batch of Chinese runner ducks. Out of these only the ducks and one guinea fowl hatched.

Bon appétit ( that's about as far as my french goes, even though I go out there every year).

Actually you might be able to help me, I'm off to the Vendee next year to a place called St Julien-des-Landes. Do you know any good rivers or lakes to fish in that area. Also any advice on permits and licences would be great.

Andy