Fishing in Norfolk

KarenC

Hiya All ....(sorry to barge in on my 1st visit and ask for help)

I have a bit of a problem and hoping someone can help please.......

I have about 11 friends coming to here from all over on the 20th & 21st This month to what we WOULD OF been a Barbel session........However we have come to a blank as the Wensum only has 3 day ticket Barbel pegs, Lenwade hit a blank too as did Costessey... All very sparce and can not accomadate all of us.

so we are having a change of plan.....Now apart from commercials and the Broads (both of where I normally fish) where else can we all go please? Hellesdon Mill seems a good option but seems to be a parking problem etc there...Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Hahahhahahaha

Any suggestions please would be very helpfull

Thank you

Real women don't have hot flushes - They have power surges!!

Hi and welcome, Karen. I assume you are the same Karen who used to post on the one time excellent Angling Times website.

This question re barbel was also asked a few weeks ago without a really helpful answer being posted. Norfolk is not really a barbel stronghold so perhaps other species would be more in order. A Burbot bash might be good, rumour has it that they might be back!

Hi and welcome, Karen. I assume you are the same Karen who used to post on the one time excellent Angling Times website.

This question re barbel was also asked a few weeks ago without a really helpful answer being posted. Norfolk is not really a barbel stronghold so perhaps other species would be more in order. A Burbot bash might be good, rumour has it that they might be back!

Hi peter....Thank you for teh welcome...and yes I am the same Karen ........I thought I would come up with a blank...Burbot are making a come back it seems, read a fair bit about them a good few months ago......Not very good reports on the little lovelys hahah

It's looking like Hellesdon Mill then for Chub and whatever else fancies the goodies in our bait tubs! Hahahhah

Thank you anyway Peter :D

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the welcome...and yes I am the same Karen

I read a fair bit about Burbot making a come back a few months ago but the reports on them wern't exactly great bless their litttle fins! Pretty fish though.

I though we would hit a blank on the Barbel frontbeing so many of us.....but hay! One of those things.....it is looking like Hellesdon we can all get on there no problem adn go for some Chub....Or anything that takes a fancy to the contents of our bait tubs hahahah.

Thanks for your help anyway peter. :D

Downstream from the Mill is Hellesdon Park which runs down almost to ring road, eleven of you could probably find enough pegs there and parking is next to river on Helledon Road. Could be the possibility of barbel but just about everything else turns up in the Wensum. All of the Wensun (and the Yare) within the city is free fishing subject to public access. I have fished at Hellesdon Park but it was in January last year and that cold that the rod rings were freezing up making trotting impossible, needless to say I caught nothing. an alternative worth considering (depending where you are travelling from) is the Great Ouse at Ten Mile Bank near Downham Market. Superb fishing especially for Bream, on my two previous visits 3 or 4 weeks ago i had 40+lbs one weekend and over 20 the next with bream to 5lbs-ish plus decent roach perch and tench (4lbs+) as well as a pike of around 10lbs on a 16 hook and 3lb bottom. I saw it take the small fish i had caught. Took a while to get it in but I did manage to land it. Carp to around 30 lbs are also present in greater numbers than most people realise. Take a look at http://local.live.com/ and type Denver in the search box (city, address etc) for the Great Ouse or Hellesdon for the Wensum, find Dereham Road and Sweet Briar Way (at about 7 oclock from the red marker on Hellesdon.

" sorry guys didn't mean to post twice...1st one dissapeared so done it again" :huh:

Hi Ginger......thanks for the info - We are all leaving from Wroxham, We have a few possibilities to head for, I will check out the link

The orignial plan went a bit Pete Tong to say the least! Only having caught a Barbel from a lake and not a REAL ONE (they won't let me forget that! Haha) I didn't really have a clue about the Wensum....

I may if I have time go up Hellesdon tomorrow and have a good look around..

Thanks for your help ginger :D

By the way guys, Karen is a bit of an alright with a smashing little son who loves fishing. So any advice helps two good folk!

I'd love to help, Peter, but I don't often venture into darkest Norfolk.

Mind you, I did go to the Rushcutters in Thorpe St. Andrew on Friday night. No idea what the fishing is like, but the mixed grill was extremely good :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Awwwwwwwww Peter thank you - This "smashing little son" of mine informed me last night that not only does he want santa to bring him a nintendo wii...ALSOOOOOOOOOO he has his eye on the Milo seat box! Would be so bad but he not even 8 yet! :huh::huh::huh: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm don't we all! hahahaahahahahahha

Elton Haha I will bare that in mind for a Friday night hahahhha - Thank you :lol: