Mull of Galloway

Snatcher

I have met Spanner and Musket there and I think they liked the topography of the place - no matter what the wind direction you can find somewhere to launch and easy launches at that.

Even I had a go in Muskets yak at Terally Bay - well I paddled at least 10yds out :o

Here is a mouthwaterer for you. Caught this pollack on a charter with "onyermarks" a few months ago.We were only 25 yds out from the shore and a short paddle from Port Logan. A very good scrap on light spinning gear and a pb for me at 11.25lbs.

Bigpollack3.jpg

I intend to catch her next summer at 13.5lbs :)

Bass,pollack,wrasse,mullet,conger will be your main targets but tope are a possibilty. Hooked into this tope whilst spinning from the shore :o It took 1.5 hrs to snap me off!!

Topeon1.jpg

Just an idea for a hol for some of you chaps for next year. Loads to do if you have a family as well. Will post up a few shots of the area

Mull1.jpg

Gardens1.jpg

Handfeedingcod.jpg

Adios amigos ;)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hi Snatcher,

I have tried it. Me and a mate from Bangor N.I. met at Stranraer in Sep 06 and drove down the Mull. Stayed three nights at the Clash.

Fished Luce Bay from the Clash slipway on Thursday and caught stacks of doggies.

Fished from Port Logan on Fri, round the back of the pier and had pollack, wrasse and mackerel. Also fished there on the Sat, but it was less productive.

It blew a hoolie for the three days, but we got out each day, albeit our range was limited by the sea state. As you say, very easy launches.

I would love to go back and spend a week there, but convincing the women in the family might be tricky - the wee lad yak fishes with me, so he'd be up for it.

You said there's lots to do for the family. What is there on the Mull for the female of the species ? If there's enough to interest them, I might be able to swing a trip next May.

Thanks.

I am not a yakker..yet but have fished the Mull on various occasions from the rock seats. There are some ferocious rips so I'd be dead wary. The shore fishing can be legendary particularly if you have a bit of the mountain goat in you- some marks are just too dangerous for me & my boys.

The water is proper deep straight off the rocks and my 11 yo son had 11 pollack on 11 consecutive trots with his float rig on strip & worm back in july- all but one returned the last he BBQ'd on the spot. Caught mackeral by the string pollack & wrasse. Best either side of high water. Very good night mark for conger I'm told- try that from a kayak!

There must be some serious yakking opportunities all around SW Scotland see link:

http://www.stranraer.org/angling/sea_angling.html

and click on the map.

What boat would you recommend? What are the hobie things with the pedals like?

Fish on.

Hi Snatcher,

I have tried it. Me and a mate from Bangor N.I. met at Stranraer in Sep 06 and drove down the Mull. Stayed three nights at the Clash.

Fished Luce Bay from the Clash slipway on Thursday and caught stacks of doggies.

Fished from Port Logan on Fri, round the back of the pier and had pollack, wrasse and mackerel. Also fished there on the Sat, but it was less productive.

It blew a hoolie for the three days, but we got out each day, albeit our range was limited by the sea state. As you say, very easy launches.

I would love to go back and spend a week there, but convincing the women in the family might be tricky - the wee lad yak fishes with me, so he'd be up for it.

You said there's lots to do for the family. What is there on the Mull for the female of the species ? If there's enough to interest them, I might be able to swing a trip next May.

Thanks.

Hake if the lasses like botanical gardens you have 5 on the Mull alone.

Logan Botanical Gardens

Logan House Gardens

Castle Kennedy Gardens

Dunsky Gardens

Glenwhan Gardens.

Loads of great walks as well and a few good garden centres to visit. Need anymore info giz a PM.

How about a day trip over to Ireland on the ferry from Stranraer. We opted for the ferry and then an organised bus trip. It only cost £27 each.

Been to Giants Causeway and Antrim Coast

Bushmills Distillery

Mountains of Mourne

Go on talk her around :)

I have a caravan on the Clash site,it is a nice part of the world :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Thanks for the info Snatcher.

When I mentioned that I met a mate from Bangor I should have mentioned that I'm from Bangor also (but living in England), so the Mrs has already been to all the NI places you mentioned....and more.

I will be working on her over the winter, hoping to get a week up there around May time. She does like gardens. Thing is, she also likes sun and warmth, both of which are impossible to predict in the UK !!

Any yakkers in Cumbria??????????? Took this shot from the Clashwhannon caravan park this afternoon.

The camera is pointing due east into Luce Bay. Focus on the two rocks in the middle of the bay (the Scares) and then look at the horizon between them. You can see quite a few Lake District peaks. I think the distance is about 70 miles.

It is only the third time I have seen them this year due to varying clarity/weather.

Fish8.jpg

How long would it take to paddle over then given calm conditions?? 6 or 7 hours. I know it would be stupid to try it though without a backup boat!!!

Could be an idea for a fundraiser though!! :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Any yakkers in Cumbria??????????? Took this shot from the Clashwhannon caravan park this afternoon.

The camera is pointing due east into Luce Bay. Focus on the two rocks in the middle of the bay (the Scares) and then look at the horizon between them. You can see quite a few Lake District peaks. I think the distance is about 70 miles.

It is only the third time I have seen them this year due to varying clarity/weather.

Fish8.jpg

How long would it take to paddle over then given calm conditions?? 6 or 7 hours. I know it would be stupid to try it though without a backup boat!!!

Could be an idea for a fundraiser though!! :)

VERY serious undertaking mate. The Mull to St Bees is 55 miles-as the crow flies. Add to this tidal flow,prevailing winds and unpredictable weather conditions and your estimate of 6 to7 hours is way out. Even given perfect weather you would have to paddle at a constant 5.5 knots to do it in 10 hours. If you can do that you must be supercharged!!! I would suggest that a more realistic time is 20 to 24 hours. How about Kirkudbright to Silloth, its about 20 miles and if you choose your time the tidal flow up the Solway will be in your favour. I'd be up for that

I grew up about 10 miles from the Mull. Excellent fishing but be _extremely_ aware...very strong currents. Moreover they always run out of Luce Bay (they don't change direction when the tide changes.. I suspect LB may act like a giant eddy). When boats get lost (engine failure etc) they generally end up in the Isle of Man.

Had a couple of tope from the kayak there this summer (from one 4 hour trip) off Ardwell so no need to risk going near the Mull

Plugger

Snatcher I can't believe you didn't even mention my name. Especially after I sweated blood and tears paddling your Tope bait out a quarter of a mile through a force 8 at Terally Bay!!!

Trust you're keeping well mate and behaving yourself up north.

It really is a cracking spot, especially over at Port Logan. Loadsa Pollack action and the site of my PB ;)

Snatcher I can't believe you didn't even mention my name. Especially after I sweated blood and tears paddling your Tope bait out a quarter of a mile through a force 8 at Terally Bay!!!

Trust you're keeping well mate and behaving yourself up north.

It really is a cracking spot, especially over at Port Logan. Loadsa Pollack action and the site of my PB ;)

Did not mention it because I forgot your handle. OOPS!!!! :doh::cc_surrender::cc_surrender::notworthy::notworthy:

Really enjoyed the "craic" with you and Musket though. Just ordered a brand new van to go onto the Clash site March 2008.

Looks like I am staying then :D

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair