Gorran Haven - Sunday 4th

chaz62

Managed a short trip to Gorran Haven on Sunday (unexpected night shift off)

The surf report the previous evening said flat, on the drive down the radio said 1-2 foot.

On arrival had a quick look and seemed about right. 20 minutes later after getting sorted and changed, it looked a bit bigger, maybe 2-3 foot!!

Uneventfull launch (thought it might be my first dunking!), first 40+ yards had waves breaking over the bow.

The fishing was fine, a couple of pollock of about 2lb each to rag, the smallest bass I've ever caught

(not sure if it was bigger than the whole squid on 4/0 hook), and a personal first, a red gurnard, only 12" long but didn't stop wriggling from taking the bait to release (fantastic colouring and display of fins).

All fish released (hope the bass made it back to a nursery, and the pollock bigger for next summer).

I was only out for about 2.5-3 hours but at times the rocks in the middle of the bay disappeared with the swell picking up.

The paddle back was great fun, surfing the big swells (kept the ticker going!!).

Did have a problem with cold feet but will post another thread about that.

Cheers,

Chaz

Lovely spot when the weathers right.

Well done on C&R,

cheers Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Hi Jon,

Your not wrong there, weather was good, just the ride a bit bumpy at times (still trying to get used to spotting bites (small ones) when the swells up), as for c&r, yet to keep any from the yak yet!!

Cheers,

Chaz