Fishing in Kent

scottie

Hi all,

I have recently got back into fishing after a break of 20 years, and am now wondering why i stopped, although discovering beer and women probably played its part.

I have been to a commercial fishery in Deal twice, Cottingdon Lakes, and done really well on the method feeder, 23 carp under 5lb and two skimmers in one session, which i was very happy with.

What i want to know is other venues, i am based in Gillingham and am going to Bax farm next weekend (any tips), other places have been mentioned to me, monk lakes, lavender farm, Brooklands and stones etc. But wonderd if any of you nice people can give me some pointers for day ticket venues.

I am not a bivvy basher (yet) just want to enjoy a good days fishing on the method or waggler to improve my fishing ability

Regards to all

Scottie

If you're in Gillingham, you could always try Horsham Lakes in Upchurch which has got roach, rudd, bream, F1'a and some carp going over 20lbs... and it's cheap.

I think one of the best things about the place is that if you hold a disable badge, you fish for free.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Scottie

There are a few of us on AN from the Medway Towns and we are willing to take you out fishing probably not on the commercials but if that is what floats your boat!!

Could I suggest that you join one of the local clubs who offer varied fishing on rivers and lakes for the cost of a few days on a commercial water?

take a look at http://www.kapscoarse.co.uk who have excellent fishing close by to you.

I must also declare a personal interest here as well as I am the assistant secretary to the Society.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

You could catch much the same on the method at Bax as you did at Cottington.The "Specimen Lake" is the only one Ive fished.There are some really nice roach in there what respond well to a whipp and small gear.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Shots for fun

Hi there,

Bax farm is a good small fishery with three lakes and a small stream, i think the first lake was enlarged a little while ago and therefore not sure how it has settled down.

The third lake from the car park called i believe the mach lake is a fair size with the far end narrowing and is ideal for pole fishing to the far bank.

The float two to three rod lengths out fished on the bottom with a six to nine inch hook length and baited with either luncheon meat or sweetcorn seems to work well for a mixed bag and brings in carp to the six to eight pound mark.

I have seen anglers using hair rigged boilies, but i do not think the size of lake and fish needs this approach.

Good luck. :thumbs:

PS, the small stream is interesting and can bring good mixed bags including some fair sized Chub on maggot.

http://www.coarsefish.co.uk/BaxFarm.htm

They used to have their own web site which is no longer the above give basic information, but drop in and have a look the owner Steve Langley is often there to give advise.

If you're in Gillingham, you could always try Horsham Lakes in Upchurch which has got roach, rudd, bream, F1'a and some carp going over 20lbs... and it's cheap.

I think one of the best things about the place is that if you hold a disable badge, you fish for free.

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

Upchurch is very close to me, and i didnt know about Horsham, i will look it up and have a look at that one, sounds like a good place

Scottie

There are a few of us on AN from the Medway Towns and we are willing to take you out fishing probably not on the commercials but if that is what floats your boat!!

Could I suggest that you join one of the local clubs who offer varied fishing on rivers and lakes for the cost of a few days on a commercial water?

take a look at http://www.kapscoarse.co.uk who have excellent fishing close by to you.

I must also declare a personal interest here as well as I am the assistant secretary to the Society.

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your reply and your honesty in terms of being the assistant secretary lol.

I had a look at your site and its venues are pretty close to me, i think i will seriously look at joining the club, how much is it to join at the moment as it states its on a sliding scale through the year.

When you are a member can you just turn up at the venue or do you have to book in advance (excuse my ignorance) only not belonged to a club before.

You could catch much the same on the method at Bax as you did at Cottington.The "Specimen Lake" is the only one Ive fished.There are some really nice roach in there what respond well to a whipp and small gear.

Hi Budgie,

Thanks for your reply,

I must admit using the method was fish a chuck at one point at Cottington, it wasnt very challenging but damm good fun !

I had a look around Bax, and they have four small lakes - 2 specimen lakes and two lakes with no islands, think it will be good for honing new skills and techniques, and the river looked interesting for something different. But was warned it gets very crowded in holidays and in the summer

Hi there,

Bax farm is a good small fishery with three lakes and a small stream, i think the first lake was enlarged a little while ago and therefore not sure how it has settled down.

The third lake from the car park called i believe the mach lake is a fair size with the far end narrowing and is ideal for pole fishing to the far bank.

The float two to three rod lengths out fished on the bottom with a six to nine inch hook length and baited with either luncheon meat or sweetcorn seems to work well for a mixed bag and brings in carp to the six to eight pound mark.

I have seen anglers using hair rigged boilies, but i do not think the size of lake and fish needs this approach.

Good luck. :thumbs:

PS, the small stream is interesting and can bring good mixed bags including some fair sized Chub on maggot.

http://www.coarsefish.co.uk/BaxFarm.htm

They used to have their own web site which is no longer the above give basic information, but drop in and have a look the owner Steve Langley is often there to give advise.

Hi,

I had a look round just to see what i was going to do, and i had thought about going on the match lake or the second specimen lake as the reeds in the middle looked so inviting !

I have only used sweetcorn on my two fishing adventures so far, so might give the luncheon meat a go, was also thinking about trying small cheese cubes, as the baliff stated it had been doing well - any thoughts on that ?, also i understand that with the colder weather coming in, should change baits a little especially if using the method feeder.

The lakes didnt strike me as a boilie venue, but think i will use my waggler rod and reel which i havnt had a chance to use yet !