quicktime / itunes

Westie

I have been trying to load itunes 7.5 (my current version is 4ish) and have been having problems with the installation. I thought the problem was with Quicktime - it needed updating too, but no joy. For some reason, I though it best to uninstall Quicktime and then to start from scratch. Now I can't load Quicktime or itunes 7.5 from the Apple site.

I keep getting the following message when I try to download either update:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Quicktime. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Help!

I'm running MS XP SP2. I am not tech. minded. As you can probably tell.....

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Hi

Are you logged in as Administrator?

If so, are you using the same Administrator account that was used previously to install Quicktime?

Cheers

Ian.

Hi Ian

I am logged in as Administrator, but as for your second question, this is where I am a tech numpty. Quicktime was pre-installed on my PC when I bought it about 3 years ago. I've not twiddled with it before now.

I've Googled and the stuff it comes up with means nothing to me - tinkering with registry and the like. :(

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Yes, one of the steps I was going to advise you to try was editing the registry, and changing the permissions on certain registry components. However, if you are not sure what you're doing, that could create more problems than it solves.

The alternative is to try to install Quicktime Lite (formerly called Quicktime Alternative): http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm

First, though, you'll have to eradicate all traces of Quicktime and Itunes from your system: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93698

'Tis up to you.

Cheers

Ian.

Edited by IanR

Yes, one of the steps I was going to advise you to try was editing the registry, and changing the permissions on certain registry components. However, if you are not sure what you're doing, that could create more problems than it solves.

The alternative is to try to install Quicktime Lite (formerly called Quicktime Alternative): http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm

First, though, you'll have to eradicate all traces of Quicktime and Itunes from your system: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93698

'Tis up to you.

Cheers

Ian.

Thanks Ian.

I'll probably opt for a complete uninstall of both Quicktime and Itunes and then try reloading first. One question - if I make a hash of that, if I set a restore point before I do this, would I be able to roll things back if it all goes the shape of the pear?

Westie.

Visit My Photo Gallery

OK man it took me 2 days to figure this one on my pc

1. uninstall Quick-time via control panel

2. open my computer/windows/system 32 folder and manually delete files Quick time and quick time VR

only delete to the recycle bin.

than uninstall itunes via control panel.

restart PC then download quick time stand alone version 7.2 not the most up to date version 7.3 it is corrupt use this link Quicktime 7.2 I-tunes 7.5

install quick time then install itunes this should cure the problem

CAUTION before you do any of the above make a restore point.. good-luck

Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

OK man it took me 2 days to figure this one on my pc

1. uninstall Quick-time via control panel

2. open my computer/windows/system 32 folder and manually delete files Quick time and quick time VR

only delete to the recycle bin.

than uninstall itunes via control panel.

restart PC then download quick time stand alone version 7.2 not the most up to date version 7.3 it is corrupt use this link Quicktime 7.2 I-tunes 7.5

install quick time then install itunes this should cure the problem

CAUTION before you do any of the above make a restore point.. good-luck

Cheers for that. Got the latest Quicktime installed now, but still having trouble with itunes. Looking in add/remove programmes, there is no mention of itunes... ? In program files, there is a file for itunes and ipod, but I can't delete either..

If I try to install itunes 7.5, I get the following error message:

Error1905.Module C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesMiniPlayer.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472

and

Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\...\InstallShield_{BE20ELF5-1903-4AAE-B1AF-2046E586C925}

Arrrggghhhhhhhhh.

Westie.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Hi

First, try this:

Go to Start>Run. Type "Regsvr32 /u iTunesMiniPlayer.dll" (without the quotes) and press OK. (Note the space between regsvr32 and the /).

You should see a message if the command was successful. If it was, try installing iTunes again.

If not, try this.

Download and run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Select iTunes, if present, in the dialog box that appears when you run it.

As always, make sure that you have valid Restore Points to fall back on.

Cheers

Ian.

Edited by IanR

Cheers IanR and pumphypete for your help so far.

I'm at work now, so I'll give your suggestions a go tonight, Ian. Fingers crossed...

Westie.

Visit My Photo Gallery