Spain in december - Advice pls

Rufus357

Hi Guys,

I am going to have a day and half spare on a business trip to Puerto Banus in Spain in mid december and thought I might try my luck with a bit of shore fishing.

can anyone give me any advice as to the species that will be around and also what lures (& sizes) I should try with? I have a basic 11' beachcasting rod.

Please assume I know nothing as I have only just started and only ever caught one fish!

Thanks!

Al :)

hi al,im not on that coast(im further north),but there are still bass and mullet around.

for the bass try spinning on the OUTSIDE edges of the breakwaters ie. into open sea.

you can pick up some nice telescopic rods here,(cheaper than the uk)

might be an idea to pick one up that fits in your case, it will save money on baggage charges perhaps?

for mullet, floatfish with bread,fish flavoured bread paste is normally sold in the tackle shops.

fishing at night will get you dorada(gilt head bream).worm as bait.

keep a look out for what the locals are doing,and copy.

oh by the way,put your reels in your hold lugage, they wont allow they as hand luggage now.

cheers mate dave. :thumbs:

Hi Dave.

I think I will need a license to fish - is that correct? If so can I get it on line otherwise I will waste my fishing time ging somewhere to get it!

What size lures should I be going for the bass do you think?

I might try my fly rod with a bread fly for the mullet.

Thanks for the advice :thumbs:

Al

Rufus

you do need a Licence in Andalucia but they are difficult to obtain, you will have to go to the nearest CONSEJERÍA DE AGRICULTURA Y PESCA which would be in Malaga, in order to avoid a test you have to take proof of your fishing ability i.e. a UK licence and or a club book, you will then need to pay for the licence and obtain insurance at a local bank.

It is a long and laborious process when compared to other Spanish Provinces, so much so I don't bother trying to fish there anymore.

I believe the Junta de Andalucia are looking into revising the system as it causing problems and presumably losing them tourist income.

You could always risk fishing without a licence many on this forum have done so but do not blame me if you get roughed up and your gear confiscated by the Guardia if you take this risk, however small.

P.S

please see the information below about obtaining a licence in Andalucia taken from the WSF Forum:

"Yesterday I received my temporary Andalucian course fishing licence which should have been validated today when the fee was paid at the bank.Yesterday the bank's computer was down or the site was not working.Today it appears I am the first non Spaniard to get as far through the new maze to actually apply for one,in Almeria anyway (And possibly Andalucia).The bank's head office did not know how to process a licence without a residencia and are today putting new rules or something in place to be able to do it. The Fishing Authority will send my original Andalucian fishing licence by post to the address I gave them in a few weeks time but I will be able fish with the documents and paid receipt.

To get a licence you must provide the original and a photo copy of your passport or residencia.(Girl Friday hopes that by next week the necessity for her to show the original passport/residencia will not be necessary.) You must provide the original copy of your British fishing licence (Available at a British Post office for £23 a year) and a photo copy of it.Girl Friday has already got herself out of having to provide an official Spanish translation of this licence as is being asked of others.You must also provide an original insurance certificate for "Responsabilidad Civil Del Cazador Y Pescador Limitada Este Ultima A La Pesca Deportive Con Cana Desde Tierra Firme" I bought my insurance from a company called "Vitalico125" in Almeria and a years insurance cost €23.19.

It may be the case that if you ask your Spanish household insurance company for a quote it may not cost as much.You may be able to add it to your personal liability even.

The licence fee is €30 for 5 years and includes fishing for trout and I believe anyone 65 years or over will get a lifetime licence for free.There are lesser fees for 1 or 3 years and without trout but !!!"

If you are reisdent it's probably worth the effort but on a visit?????

Regards

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

LOL i didnt bother even mentioning that tony! :lol:

i have to renew mine this week...but in my area i just nip into the bank, pay my 8€ and collect it in a few days .(i can fish with the reciept meamwhile) :lol:

cheers mate ,regards dave. :thumbs: