Proposed new lens compliment . . .

Sutton Warrior

OK, after my thread 'VR . . . does it affect . .' and the good advise received. The advise hepled me realise I actualy have a decent set of low cost lenses in a; Nikon 18-70, superb quality especialy considering its a 'kit lens'!!! Sigma 70-300, very old, but a capable budget long zoom, only fully fuctional on my motor in body Nikon D80, and a jack of all trades 18-200VR.

The idea is to get a knock about body D40X with the 18-70 fitted nice light combination for Hazel to hose about with. I will use the D80 and the 18-200 for general walk about, and the 18-70/70-300 for more serious work?

However, the Sigma 70-300 is a film vertion, up for replacement at some time? Nikon 70-300VR? A wider angle lense would be a nice adition 15 to 20mm??? and a 100 to 150 macro

Any coments on the lense compliment, curent and proposed aditions?

SW

Hi SW

On the long end, the Nikon 70-300mm gets very good reviews, although reports of the 200-300mm range being a little softer than the 70-200mm range, especially on the largest aperature settings. Also a tendancy to hunt in lower light situations (but that can be overcome by manually focussing if it simply cannot lock on in dingy conditions). I played around with that lens in a camera shop - well built, compact and the VR works very, very well. As you suggested, you can use a monopod if you want and the advantage of that over a tripod is that you can still use VR on the monopod, as there will still be movement that the VR can cancel out. The issues with VR are, I understand, if it is left on whilst using a tripod - the camera is rock solid still and the movement of the VR internal gyroscopes (I think??) can introduce unnecessary movement in that case!

As you say, the 18-70mm is a very good lens - good build quality and optics and weather/dust sealed. Not half bad for the price.

The 50mm f1.8 gets very good reviews for low light capabilities and you can get that lens for under £100. Not bad at all.

If you're happy with 3rd party lenses, the following always seem to have good reviews:

Wide Angle:

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

Tokina 12-24mm f4

Macro:

Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro

Sadly, no experience with any of these lenses, but if you look at the DPReview website you may see some links/threads with discussions about these lenses. Most owners seem happy bunnies. Here's the link. DPReview

ATB

Andy.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Hi SW

On the long end, the Nikon 70-300mm gets very good reviews, although reports of the 200-300mm range being a little softer than the 70-200mm range, especially on the largest aperature settings. Also a tendancy to hunt in lower light situations (but that can be overcome by manually focussing if it simply cannot lock on in dingy conditions). I played around with that lens in a camera shop - well built, compact and the VR works very, very well. As you suggested, you can use a monopod if you want and the advantage of that over a tripod is that you can still use VR on the monopod, as there will still be movement that the VR can cancel out. The issues with VR are, I understand, if it is left on whilst using a tripod - the camera is rock solid still and the movement of the VR internal gyroscopes (I think??) can introduce unnecessary movement in that case!

As you say, the 18-70mm is a very good lens - good build quality and optics and weather/dust sealed. Not half bad for the price.

The 50mm f1.8 gets very good reviews for low light capabilities and you can get that lens for under £100. Not bad at all.

If you're happy with 3rd party lenses, the following always seem to have good reviews:

Wide Angle:

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

Tokina 12-24mm f4

Macro:

Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro

Sadly, no experience with any of these lenses, but if you look at the DPReview website you may see some links/threads with discussions about these lenses. Most owners seem happy bunnies. Here's the link. DPReview

ATB

Andy.

Thanks for that Andy. Just bide my time on the lenses, get to grips with what I'v got for the present, try to formulate some thoughts, where we, thats the Royal 'we', Hazel and me, want to go. A little jugling with the present motley selection will give ideas, as well as, I think, sit and watch the money markets and reactions to same . . . Might be a few bargins floating around in a few months, if retail has a bad Christmas??? Plus the fact that i dont know my situation in 2009 . . . <_< I might win the lottery :lol: hav'nt got a emoticon 'flying pink elephant' :P

Bargins . . . I went in and bougt the D40X body this morning, its being treated as a new camera as far as the shop (London Camera Exchange) is concerned, therefore the Gt is on that basis. It comes in its original box, all like new, £150. I was happy, then I looked closer, the box has it original price tag on it . . . . £429.99!!! thats just the body, no lens.

I also treated myself to a 'Manfrotto' monopod with proper MF 'single plane head' £50 inlusive.

For macro I am looking at the Sigma 105, I have seen the results, they are stunning, fast at 2.8, affordable, not sure it focuses on a D40X but thats not realy a problem, it will most likly be used on the D80 any way. And yes, the Sigma 10-20 is in my sights. I have just looked up the reviews, wow!!! I'm even re looking Sigmas latest version of the Sigma 70-300 APO, its been updated to latest digital requirements.

What the above brings home to me, the D40X will fit the bill admerably as purchased, a light, proper camera for Hazel, point & shoot, but with some encouragement from me there is enough there for her to do more? A quality P&S for me with the Nikon 18-200VR. Going away from this will bring the D80 into use and full choise of lenses :clap2: There is also the fact that 3rd party offerings are coming on line all the time, to improve the D40X's flexabuility on lenses. Play the wating game . . . I recon Sigma will do a compatable 70-300 soon?

For anyone reading this, they are knocking out Sigmas 18-200 super zoom lenses for £149.00, not OS. With out the OS mechanisam, they are very small and light, I thought a bit of a bargin??? A few other goodies in the bargin lens cabinet I spied as well.

SW