Boxing Day Piking

BoozleBear

Giving it the TC of the rod at close range on rivers usually does the trick...a more full on approach is needed on reservoirs when fishing with baits at a distance.

Yes. I should qualify, all my piking is done on rivers these days and for what it's worth, I always use a braid mainline.

Is it just me or is it so much more fun to fish a free roving/paternostered live on a small water compared to lobbing out big baits over the horizon. Each to their own of course :)

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Yes. I should qualify, all my piking is done on rivers these days and for what it's worth, I always use a braid mainline.

Is it just me or is it so much more fun to fish a free roving/paternostered live on a small water compared to lobbing out big baits over the horizon. Each to their own of course :)

I must admit I haven't done any big water pike fishing. I like the canal because I can guess the obvious spots where the pike will be (well trained by my friend and Ghillie, Greg) and on a big would would probably use tips / methods I have seen the likes of Hayes, Brown and Wilson extoll the virtues of on their TV shows and in books.

I have been piking on the broads too, and just as on the canal, really enjoy slinging out a ledgered dead whilst also trying out lures and spinners. I like the roving method too. If one spot doesn't produce within half an hour or so I like to move on - unless it's a spot that usually produces or that Greg swears by, and many times staying put and having patience or a sandwich has paid dividends.

I haven't got a braided mainline but have used Gregs and really enjoyed it, especially when lure fishing as you feel a lot more. It's amazing how many times you realise you are catching the bottom rather than 'getting a knock' when using mono! It's much more truthful than mono.

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Given the choice to fish big reservoirs or rivers I'd always go for the river but of course wether it is fishable or not is dependant on flow & colour and over the past few months it's been so inconsistent that I've have to fish stillwaters.

I've just started using braid mainline on my standard float ledger/float setup on the river and I'm well impressed....can pull out of most snags (which there are loads of) by bending hook or in extreme cases snapping the trace!

Given the choice to fish big reservoirs or rivers I'd always go for the river but of course wether it is fishable or not is dependant on flow & colour and over the past few months it's been so inconsistent that I've have to fish stillwaters.

I've just started using braid mainline on my standard float ledger/float setup on the river and I'm well impressed....can pull out of most snags (which there are loads of) by bending hook or in extreme cases snapping the trace!

True, another advantage. When I can afford it, I'll change!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear