Saltmead Ledges and Hamstead Ledge Sat 5th Jan

richi

With 10ft swells and 15mph+ winds predicted I decided to Launch at Lepe take the ebb down the Solent and return with the sail B)

IMGP0621.jpg

half way across to the island the swell got worse but no way was it 10ft,it was certainly less than on our last Portland trip

IMGP0624.jpg

reached Thorness Bay then continued westerly to Salt Mead Ledges and anchored up in 28ft.Caught a lovely looking edible crab that went back,but nothing else

IMGP0625.jpg

After an hours fishing at Salt Mead decided to continue westerly to Hamstead Ledge,on the way near Newtown gravel bank I saw a slipway that led to a farmers field?!! :o

IMGP0626.jpg

eventually made it to Hamstead Ledge and anchored up near the Bouy in 82ft,after an hours fishing and no bites the predicted wind had dropped to about 1mph I decided I had better return as I had a long paddle ahead without the expected wind assistance(bloody weather forecasters was certainly uttered a few times!) :angry: .Set the GPS to return to the launch point and it told me that if I paddled in a straight line it was 5.4 miles.

IMGP0628.jpg

Encountered a few boats and this small freight ship mid channel but all in all there was not many people on the water(probably due to the weather forecasters!)

IMGP0632.jpg

Tallying the miles up I covered 13 in all and with the lack of fish and lack of wind the trip didn't really go as planned but it was a real good workout and my stomach muscles feel as tight as a drum.

It was also a good chance to check out more Isle Of Wight marks for my summer expedition ;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph