PERCH POPULARITY ON THE INCREASE?

Houghton

I recently returned to fishing after about 12 years absence (due to lack of time, work, and girls - which in turn led to marriage then kids) but on returning I have noticed that the popularity of the Perch seems to have increased massively amongst anglers. (I may be wrong but I am sure people saw the Perch as more of a nuisence back then).

It actually struck me straight away, whether I just missed the chat back then, or possibly due to the fact the internet hadn't kicked off properly and sites like this were non-existant I dont know. But in any case it is very pleasing because in my opinion the Perch is one of the most beautiful fish in our waters and holds a special place in my heart - as along with 99% of anglers a little perch was my first ever catch.

Also, it is very noticable that the Perch seems to be getting bigger. Back then I was in awe of seeing a picture of a 3 and a half pounder but now, although I'd bloody love to catch one, it seems a Perch of that size is nothing to write home about. 5 pounders seem to be getting more and more common, please correct me if I am wrong.

Who knows, in the next five years maybe a 7lb Perch?

Forums of this sort were rare as teeth in a chicken until the late 90s.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i think the biggest reason, for me anyway is the rare occasion you get a real cracker of a perch and the fight is realy enjoyable with perch of 2lb and upward and finding a place only a handful of experianced anglers only know of, none of this idiots who yank them out and kill anything from sticklebacks to 4lb perch

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I had not realised that Perch were ever unpopular!!!

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

i have allways liked perch and on the right tackle think they give a good account of themselves

i don,t think they are half hearted preadators and are one of the most aggresive fish in our waters

i have been been fishing for them a bit this season catching mainly small ones but when i found some bigger fish up to 2lb 120zs the fight was excellent i lost some good ones to in the branches of the tree i was fishing under but they soon moved off and i haven't found them since

the largest one i caught was an impressive fish and it's no wonder they are becoming popular a four or five pound perch must look awesome

cheers john

They're definately the 'vogue' fish of the moment. Size must be the main reason why. They're getting bigger.

I'd always liked them, have never caught a big one but it was the sight of seeing two HUGE perch follow a lure whilst pike fishing that really fired my imagination. Amazing things. I've tried half-heartedly to catch some (only a few sessions) but I get easily distracted! Roach, barbel, pike etc. There isn't enough time.

The magazines and weeklies are full of them. I live in fear of the day when certain carp anglers get fed up of the puddles and make their way to the rivers. Though of course there are huge perch in the puddles... ;)

Edited by bingo

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

they do seem to be in vogue at the moment. a big stripey is a nice fish to look at, but they are poor fighters even on british match-type tackle and half-hearted predators at the best of times.

with heavy tack the fight is definetly crap and i mean CRAP! i landed a 2lb 9oz on pike gear whilest targeting pike! i thought i lost the pike and was only draging in something i snagged on but it was the perch......

on light tackle size 16 hooks, 4lb line no trace or nothing, light rod that can throw no more than 15g and wobled lob worm and it can be a great wee scrap. i use my leeda concept match carp for this

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

with heavy tack the fight is definetly crap and i mean CRAP! i landed a 2lb 9oz on pike gear whilest targeting pike! i thought i lost the pike and was only draging in something i snagged on but it was the perch......

on light tackle size 16 hooks, 4lb line no trace or nothing, light rod that can throw no more than 15g and wobled lob worm and it can be a great wee scrap. i use my leeda concept match carp for this

Perch put up a shite fight? so what! Is that what fishing is all about, in my opinion ....NO.

Anyway Perch I have caught have fought pretty well, or it it just me being very weak?