Fish finder

John1952

:D Hi all,

just joined your site and I am going to get right in for help and advice!

My daughter bought me for Christmas, a Cuda 168 and I am A little concerned as to how to attatch it to my little 15ft fiberglass boat!

I didn't really want to have it fitted externally under the boat, drilling holes for wires etc!!

The manual says to attatch it to the transom, but I think it might get in the way of the outboard!

Is it possible to get it to work and get the same results, if I place it inside the bottom of the boat?

Any advice PLEASE!

The one I have is fitted with the Standard Skimmer Transducer, not the Thru-hull Transducer.

Many thanks.

WHATS RIGHT IS RIGHT! AND WHAT'S WRONG AIN'T RIGHT

Hi John1952 and welcome.

The usual place for those is at the stern and low enough the transducer head is near but slightly above the level of the bottom of your boat (for protection). That gives it a clear enough view of the bottom and you would only need a couple of very tiny holes for the mounting screws.

If you want the depth finder to function when you are running the outboard it needs to be where it is away from the worst of the water disturbance from the prop or else it will lose the bottom while you are running and once you get above a fairly slow speed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi John1952 and welcome.

The usual place for those is at the stern and low enough the transducer head is near but slightly above the level of the bottom of your boat (for protection). That gives it a clear enough view of the bottom and you would only need a couple of very tiny holes for the mounting screws.

If you want the depth finder to function when you are running the outboard it needs to be where it is away from the worst of the water disturbance from the prop or else it will lose the bottom while you are running and once you get above a fairly slow speed.

Thanks for your reply Newt,

I take it, it wont work if I place it inside the hull

WHATS RIGHT IS RIGHT! AND WHAT'S WRONG AIN'T RIGHT

John - this is probably better asked on the kayak forum since quite a few of the yak guys have done just that. I use metal boats so never had it as an option.

I think that the transducer will do fine as long as it is properly seated on the bottom and the correct glop is used to attach it but note the 'think' part.

It must be on the actual boat skin so if you have a double hull /w insulation/floatation in between, you will need to cut out a section.

If you post your question to the yak forum, you should get an answer that you can be sure of rather than a guess from across the pond.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President