Humminbird PiranhaMAX 215 Question

cannonfodder

The connections are gold plated so it shouldn't be an issue. I asked the technical chap at Johnson Outdoors the same thing. It's good practice to squirt some wd40 on after a trip though to dispel water and perhaps protect things.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

The green stuff is caused by electrolosys - I've got the same unit and have just had my 3rd (or is it 4th?) power cable delivered.

At first I didn't put a switch inbetween the battery & unit and left the lot connected up, between launches - big mistake!! B)

Then I put a switch in and turned it off after each trip - not much better (problems at the switch/fuse).

After the last time I wired it I always took the battery out after each trip - lesson learnt!!

I still think over time you'll get some corrosion - electrolsys only needs a bit of damp seawater moisture to occur.

Hope that helps... :D

BTW you can get conductive WD40 from Maplins - wasn't sure if the normal stuff is

Edited by Marc J

Malibu 2

@ Marc J

i disconnected my unit every trip and washed it at home with fresh water but after only 4 or 5 trips the unit connector and power and transducer cable started turning green. i have had my unit replaced but am concerned now that the same thing will happen.

@ Marc J

i disconnected my unit every trip and washed it at home with fresh water but after only 4 or 5 trips the unit connector and power and transducer cable started turning green. i have had my unit replaced but am concerned now that the same thing will happen.

Yep it's a xxxxer, not sure I have an answer. When the unit is connected to the battery it'll cause electrolosys if there is any dampness. I've cut back cable and found corrosion going through all of it.

I just try and make everything as water tight as possible. I haven't seen many complaints though on the forums about this, so it could be something I'm doing wrong - not sure. Did wonder if having a really good well charged battery (which I do) might make matters worse, more current/power causing more corrosion. :bangin:

Malibu 2