Rigs

squibs

Has anyone used Hair rigging or pop up style rigs when sea fishing? Do you think that it'll work?

I was day dreaming about going fishing the other day. Not had the fishing gland rubbed for a little while and I was wondering whether the old carp and pike guys ideas would transfer acrossed to the sea. I know the pike people use a hair rigged pop up bait with macky calling it a kebab, Angling Times ran an article on it a while ago. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

Tight lines. :)

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

Has anyone used Hair rigging or pop up style rigs when sea fishing? Do you think that it'll work?

I was day dreaming about going fishing the other day. Not had the fishing gland rubbed for a little while and I was wondering whether the old carp and pike guys ideas would transfer acrossed to the sea. I know the pike people use a hair rigged pop up bait with macky calling it a kebab, Angling Times ran an article on it a while ago. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

squibs

:clap2: I have fished for and caught bass on hair rigs with carp tackle as an experiment. It does work but is not really necessary as bass are happy to take a big bait on a big hook. :clap2:

squibs

I've had problems fishing crab for bass in the past with missed bites, particularly from smaller fish. One of the problems when baiting up with crab is that because of it’s a bulky shape you loose some of the gape of the hook with the effect that there is less chance of the hook point taking hold. I decided to remove the bait totally from the hook. I now bait up as follows; peel the crab, and either cut it into two halves or cut it 2/3 of the way through, wrap it in elastic, pass the hook point under some of the strands of the elastic and then add a few wraps of elastic between the hook bend and the bait. This has the effect of fishing the bait on a very short hair. The hook is a short-shanked wide gape. Results so far have been very encouraging but further experimentation is needed.

Thanks for the feedback chaps. It's added some food for thought I'll have to have a little play with a spare rod the next time I'm on the beach.

Phil. Have you tried rapping your crab around a piece of foam and back shot the line? Your idea seems very good. As a follow on to your idea in thought, I was thinking that it might help the Southern guys with the robbing spider crabs.

Tight lines.

squibs :thumbs:

Edited by squibs
Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?