info needed

Andykelly

Ive been on my local pond last couple of weeks im fairly new to this but been catching roach rud bream but last couple of times ive been there i have hooked a couple of carp maybe 6-7lb the biggest but i have also hooked some bigger carp that have snapped me off and the hook lentgh can anyone tell me what strenght hooklenght and hook will take a 10-15lb carp .i want a universal hooklenth that will still catch me silver fish but when i see the carp i can cast to them with out changing any thing can any one help cheers

Hi Andy,

If there was a hooklength that was suitable for catching both small roach and 15lb carp then it would be terrific; however; If you want to catch silvers (roach, Rudd etc.) then you will need to be fishing with a light hooklength (from 1 to 4lb) or else your bites will drop off very dramatically; likewise if you want to catch 15lb Carp then you will need to step up your Hooklength (approx 5 to 10lb) to be able to handle them particularly in waters with lillies and other snags where you may even need to go heavier.

So you will have to fish one or the other if you want to have a decent chance of catching them.

Yes I know that you can occasionally catch big carp on fine lines but that is the exception to the rule and it is not in the carps best interests to be swimming around with broken line hanging from its mouth.

Why don't you get a cheap carp rod and 8lb or 10lb line and fish for the carp on the carp rod while you float fish for roach with the normal rod?.

or if there are some decent Tench and Bream in the water why don't you fish for them instead of the roach with 5 or 6lb line and still give yourself a fighting chance to land a 15lb Carp when one comes along?

Tight Lines

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Hi Andy,

If there was a hooklength that was suitable for catching both small roach and 15lb carp then it would be terrific; however; If you want to catch silvers (roach, Rudd etc.) then you will need to be fishing with a light hooklength (from 1 to 4lb) or else your bites will drop off very dramatically; likewise if you want to catch 15lb Carp then you will need to step up your Hooklength (approx 5 to 10lb) to be able to handle them particularly in waters with lillies and other snags where you may even need to go heavier.

So you will have to fish one or the other if you want to have a decent chance of catching them.

Yes I know that you can occasionally catch big carp on fine lines but that is the exception to the rule and it is not in the carps best interests to be swimming around with broken line hanging from its mouth.

Why don't you get a cheap carp rod and 8lb or 10lb line and fish for the carp on the carp rod while you float fish for roach with the normal rod?.

or if there are some decent Tench and Bream in the water why don't you fish for them instead of the roach with 5 or 6lb line and still give yourself a fighting chance to land a 15lb Carp when one comes along?

Tight Lines

BB

thanks yeh will do the 2 rod thing any one no what is the best size hooks to use they have been taking single corn on a size 20 hook is that ok

Size 20 is a bit small for normal sized corn but if you are only after the Roach and are currently catching with it then fine, However if the corn is the smaller stuff I would use size 16 hooks but if it is normal sized corn I would use either a size 14 or even try 2 grains on a size 12 if there was a good chance of a Carp picking it up.

If the roach are very finicky in the colder weather, try a pinkie on a size 20 hook, they are like normal maggots but are half the size and it can be a great bait on waters where they are only used to seeing maggots.

They last a lot longer before turning to casters too.

you can also try a 1lb to 2lb hooklength as well which could give you more bites.

NB. Its not only small fish that like them either so you may need to step up to 3lb line and use double pinkie on a size 18 hook once you get them feeding well.

dont forget to catapult out a few (half a dozen) every minute or so, especially once they start feeding.

NB. in the summer you may need to increase the loose feed.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)