Close... but no cigar

Del_R

Almost caught my first fish on a lure today. Grrr... the big blighter (well, medium sized blighter...) got off the hook just as I reached down for my landing net. I guess the lesson learned is to keep that tension on! It was a jack and it was the only take of two sessions this week... so close! Still, at least I know that these things can work. Sometimes it seems like a huge leap of faith. Anyway, that was only my third spinning session and the fact that I hooked something and got it all the way to the bank does at least fill me with some hope.

Happy New Year!

Del

Keep at it and im sure soon enough that first fish will be a fond memory as you are reeling in the fiftyith.

Just wait till the summer gets here, they run you all over the place :D just remember to get them back as soon as possible in the heat.

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

Keep plugging away. It's amazing how once you've caught one, others often follow pretty quickly. Hopefully, your next post will be to tell us you've done it!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah!!

This morning's short session resulted in my first fish on a lure. Well chuffed. It was a pike - my first ever pike, too. So that's two firsts today.

Not particularly big - though it looked huge when it was laid on the mat looking up at me saying "so how are you going to get this hook out then, pal?" Luckily all the articles and advice I've read came into play and I did the whole kneeling over it, left hand fingers through the gill covers, slide up, open the mouth, oh dear the hook's way down there, forceps through gill covers routine, and it all worked a treat. Lord knows how sacry that would be on a twenty pounder though!

I do need a bigger landing net, though. Even this small pike was too big for the one I have. I can feel a visit to the Harris site coming on.

Great stuff! Apologies for rambling.

Chuffed Del

Many congratulations! Here's to your first double!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've lost, and seen lost, so many pike at the net :(

Even if the clutch is set lightly, as the rod is raised, the pressure needed to take line from the reel is increased. There is no forgiveness in the tackle at that point.

Often anglers will increase the drag, once the fish shows signs of being beaten, so that it can be wound in.

Unfortunately pike have a habit of making one last dash, when they catch site of the angler/waiting net.

With the rod held high, and possibly the drag tightened, and the angler concentrating on netting the fish, if the fish is held on the point of the hooks, rather than the bend (as is usually the case), this is when the hooks give up their grip and the fish is gone in a flurry of water.

Now, I make a point of actually slackening off the drag as the fish comes close, and concentrate on playing the fish, ready to drop the rod tip immediately at the first sign of the pike trying to make a break for it close in.

I can honestly say, that since I've concentrated on doing that, I've not lost a fish at the net, but I still see plenty of others losing them close in.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust