Friday Fishing - Advice for the rivers

Lukus

I have been able to get this Friday off work to go fishing, probably on the Severn or the Teme (Birmingham Anglers Assoc waters around Worcester towards leominster etc). I want to fish light in terms of tackle and want to go for chub/barbel by heavy feeder due to the conditions. My choice of baits is probably Halibut pellet, white maggot, lobbie and luncheon meat. I have not been for a while, not caught anything for even longer...any top tips (i am conscious that it could be called off if the water levels rise much more etc)

Many Thanks in advance!

:huh:

Hi Lucus,

I, too, will be going fishing on the Teme Friday but more than likely over towards Tenbury Wells as I know a few spots which will produce when the river is running high, which it probably will. When it's up and coloured then forget your maggot and halibut pellets. I fish with large pieces of curried luncheon meat or cheasepaste, and Lobworms can work too. Find the slacks and drop a bait in behind them. Give it 20mins max then move on to the next one. If it's running low then I switch to bread flake and feed liquidised bread through a feeder. I don't catch many barbel on this but then they don't feed so much in clear water. I had a 3 1/2lb bream , a 1 1/2lb trout and a 4lb chub on this the weekend. The best advice I can give is to travel light and keep on the move. I have a rucksack with a stool built in to it so I don't have to carry a seperate chair (you could sit on an unhooking mat) a ledger rod a float rod, bank stick and landingnet and thats it.

Good luck for friday

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

I have 3 days off now to end the season. I checked the water temp on Saturday and was surprised to see it at 47degrees. I would not bother fishing halibut or any trout pellet if it remains that low as they don't release oil/flavour below about 45

I would stick to a traditional bait either those mentioned or maggots. I stuck to maggots at the weekend, that way you will attract anything that's about like my 2lb 6oz perch :)

Good luck where ever you go but just watch the rising river with all the rain that is forecast over the next few days.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I have been able to get this Friday off work to go fishing, probably on the Severn or the Teme (Birmingham Anglers Assoc waters around Worcester towards leominster etc). I want to fish light in terms of tackle and want to go for chub/barbel by heavy feeder due to the conditions. My choice of baits is probably Halibut pellet, white maggot, lobbie and luncheon meat. I have not been for a while, not caught anything for even longer...any top tips (i am conscious that it could be called off if the water levels rise much more etc)

Many Thanks in advance!

:huh:

Hi Ant

Thanks for the advice, i shall take heed of your thoughts and go with the more traditional baits as both you and Lyn suggested.

Will let you know how i get on

I have 3 days off now to end the season. I checked the water temp on Saturday and was surprised to see it at 47degrees. I would not bother fishing halibut or any trout pellet if it remains that low as they don't release oil/flavour below about 45

I would stick to a traditional bait either those mentioned or maggots. I stuck to maggots at the weekend, that way you will attract anything that's about like my 2lb 6oz perch :)

Good luck where ever you go but just watch the rising river with all the rain that is forecast over the next few days.

lyn

Cheers Lyn for your advice, most appreciated....lets hope all goes well on Friday.

I went fishing on the Teme in Cotheridge today for the afternoon, and whilst the going was slow and the weather was offish, i had a ball! Not due to the volume of fish, but to the fact that it was quiet and the river is full of character. It is the first time i have fished and i managed to land a Chub a needle above 5lb, using the curried luncheon meat that Ant mentioned. That , for me , is a result, not my best Chub, but not far behind. Well what can i say...happy days!!!!