Perch Fishing

thuramario

With the current climate i have decided to focus most of my attention on big perch this winter. The biggest so far i have caught is just shy of a pound. There is an area (2 areas actually) of cannal in wigan were these bigger perch can be found. I have only caught them on maggot before but that was years ago when i was just starting. Since they go for red bait, what bait could i use to ditter the little gudgeon and perch but still atract the big perch. Also how do perch feed, do the tend to feed up or on the bottom. I have only cought them on the bottom before but have noticed the shape of their mouths and wondered if i would have better sucsess fishing up in the water with a constant supply (little and often) of free offerings? also what groudbaits attract perch as sweet attract bream, hemp tench etc, i have never heared of a perch attractor.

With the current climate i have decided to focus most of my attention on big perch this winter. The biggest so far i have caught is just shy of a pound. There is an area (2 areas actually) of cannal in wigan were these bigger perch can be found. I have only caught them on maggot before but that was years ago when i was just starting. Since they go for red bait, what bait could i use to ditter the little gudgeon and perch but still atract the big perch. Also how do perch feed, do the tend to feed up or on the bottom. I have only cought them on the bottom before but have noticed the shape of their mouths and wondered if i would have better sucsess fishing up in the water with a constant supply (little and often) of free offerings? also what groudbaits attract perch as sweet attract bream, hemp tench etc, i have never heared of a perch attractor.

Have a look here.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I'd go for worms or just use more maggots on the hook, but personally i find any worm species work best this time of year. And for depth you would have to just try them all until you find what level they are at. But i would go for just off the bottom.

Like norfolk said. Stick with worms you wont go far wrong this time of year. I have caught perch at all depths and its just a matter of how they are hunting on the day.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Lutra's link is very relevant with lots of posts, and will also save me repeating myself!

Turning to your specific questions, yes perch do seem to be attracted to red baits. For more on perch baits see this article of mine here on Angler's Net: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing-Articles/428.html

Perch feed at all depths and the main factor here is the underwater light. Perch have better eyesight than any other coarse fish except zander. Contrary to what the old books say they feed best in poor light as this is when they have the maximum advantage over their poorer-sighted prey.

So the brighter the light the more likely the perch are to be in deeper water and/or in shade and vice versa.

Perch like spicy flavours. There are, or rather there used to be, perch flavours developed by Archie Braddock. Archie has now retired but you may find some of his flavourings still available. The ones to look out for are Xotic powder and Perch Magic liquid. Alternatively Rod Hutchinson's Savoury Sense Appeal is a good liquid. For powdered additives try Garam Masala, or in very cold weather a really hot curry powder.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net