Rubber Worms

benhben

Hi, can anyone give any tips on spinning for pike, perch, chub etc using Rubber or jelly worms. Ive got some of these worms which ive rigged which i think is texas style (Small sliding weight above worm, which is rigged weedlessly). However I havent really got a clue what to do with them, ive tried bumping them along the bottom, but cant tell if its a bite or just hitting snags and rocks.

Anyone fish with them and dont mind giving some tips? Also I have some small curly tail grubs which I intend to use with perch and also dont know how to rig or fish them.

Ben

That does sound like a Texas rig.

Bottom bouncing as you are doing is good but I suspect you are moving too far and too fast so try for little hops of less than 1 foot each time. Watch the line carefully since the vast majority of takes come on the fall.

Takes are usually very subtle and easy to miss as the fish will take in the lure and then spit it out. If you notice anything unusual, strike. Unusual =

- longer than usual to drop after you move it

- a small jerk in the line

- a small sidewise movement of the line

- a light 'tap' on the lure

When in doubt, strike. If nothing then resume twitching it back in.

Always be a line watcher since you will often see indications of a take you did not feel.

If you can fish with a multiplier, run the line back onto the reel over an index finger (pointer finger) or very lightly pinched between two fingers as that will allow you to feel subtle takes you would otherwise not notice.

If you can spool up with braid, do so since it is much better for strike indication than mono.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Could I also suggest that you strike HARD..very HARD. Remember the hook is buried in the plastic body.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Strike Hard - excellent advice.

Bear in mind that with a through action rod and mono line, striking hard is next to impossible. If you doubt that, tie a plastic ring onto the end of your line, have a friend strike with your holding the ring and around 20-30 yards of line out, and see how much pressure they put on the ring.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt. I am using braid, use it on all my spinning gear. So slow with small twitches is the key.

The biggest problem im having is that when twitching the bait accross the bottom I often feel some resistance which could easily be a bite, only to find yet again that its abit of debris, weed, rocks etc that have started to block the path of the worm. Im just thinking that if I did get a take (because i havent yet) that id never tell the difference. Although ill look out for the things you said.

Have you had much productivity using them?

Yes I have Ben. Probably my favourite style of lure for general fishing.

If there is lots of junk on the bottom, try 'pegging' your weight tight against the hook by putting a piece of toothpick into the hole to put pressure on the line.

Later in the year when the weed is green & growing, use a fairly heavy weight (ounce or so) so you can get through the cabbage and toss the lure into the middle of the weed then jiggle it a bit. You'd be surprised at how many fish are in there and want to play and chances are that no one else will be fishing where they are.

Otherwise, use the lightest weight you can manage. In fact, I'd suggest getting a packet or two of this item which I really prefer to messing with a normal Texas rig.

97790.jpg

Available Here

Great fun if there are lilly pads to toss one rigtged with a soft plastic onto a lilly pad and then slowly jiggle it until it falls into the water. Watch the line closely since the fish normally take it on the fall and if you know the depth, strike if it takes too long to reach bottom even if you did not see any indication of a fish.

If the water has crays, they make a great soft plastic to use on the hook.