Drifting for plaice

Dave.I

Has anybody here ever drifted for plaice in the salcome area or anywere else in there kayak?

First, I'm no expert Dave and not fished the Salcombe estuary. Drifting is OK for covering a wide area if no real idea where the fish may be. Once you've localised them I'd consider anchoring and using a float to keep the bait moving in the general area. Most flatfish are lazy and will go with the tide, if the wind is making the Yak drift against the tide then you probably won't catch. Something like a drogue could help in that circumstance or anchor and float. The hook end will benefit from attractors and maybe a spoon.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Salcomb...l&hl=plaice

Hi ,If the link works this a report from Yaskalos who used to post on here.

Cheers Jon

If not just use the search function keying in his name and south sands report.

Also there is a report that Simon and I did about fishing for plaice from Beesands.If I get time I'll search for that too,got to go to work now!

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Flatties half bury themselves and wait for food to come to them. That's why an attractant stirs them into action. Drifting is an ideal way to move over a sandbank stirring up the flatties.

A local chap at my favourite mark told me this week of a sandbank that I suspected was there because of the wave action over it.

He said there are plaice and sole there. It's going to be my first target when the plaice are in.