Pole Bung/Elastic question

jonnychaos

After the success of my last question I am now going to seek the advice of the masters again.

When I pole fish I use a Leeda Assasin II 12.5M pole that came with a match top 3 a power top 2 and a margin kit. I only ever use the power top 2 and currently have a No. 12 Elastic in it, I havent yet used the match top 3 and I havent really got an idea about the margin because surely the power section does the same?

Main question is when I use the 12 elastic i tend to lose loads of fish or the hook never actually sets but I think they may only be skimmers or small carp how do I stop this without stepping down elastyic size because I am worried a big Mudpig might scream off with a No.6 elastic.

Thanks

John

its called bouncing fish. you have to balance your tackle, i use size 6 solid latez my map in my match tops, i use these along with a pulla bung at the end (by preston) so if i do get into a 10lb carp i will be able to land it a. because that elastic is strong enough not to snap and b i can change the tension of the elastic so the carp gets into netting range, hope this helps!!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Isnt a size 6 elastic too small?

Is the "pulla Bung" that thing that when you break your pole down to last sections you can basically hand line the elastic?

I have also read on the forums about Double Bungs how do these work?

Isnt a size 6 elastic too small?

Is the "pulla Bung" that thing that when you break your pole down to last sections you can basically hand line the elastic?

I have also read on the forums about Double Bungs how do these work?

it will be a big big fish that will snap size 6 latex elastic, i have caught 10lbers on it, although it would not be suitable for margin work or if you are fishing big baits when you know there are big fish in the water. Yeah you can shorten the elastic coming out of the end, a bigish carp will stretch the elastic a lot so to get the fish in netting range you need to pull some elastic through. you should always land fish on as lthe top kit as this reduces stress on joints.

Edited by mjbarnes12
wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

You need a realistic assessment of the type and size of fish you will be fishing for and then set up all you gear accordingly.

In your previous post, you were talking about using a 2lb hooklength, that was why I suggested a 6-8 hollow elastic. If you used a 16 elastic with 2lb line, you will be smashed by most carp over 5lb as they react to the power of the elastic and fight harder.

With your three kits, I would suggest:

Match kit: a hollow 6-8 elastic, for use with hooklengths from 1 1/2lb to 3lb

Power kit: your No12 with rigs using 5lb straight through to the hook or 7lb with 5 or 6lb hooklength

Margin kit: a 16 or equivalent hollow for 7-8lb straight through rigs

The line strengths I'm talking about are probably more to do with the kind of swim you'll be fishing in, rather than size of fish. Any of the match ups above will land a 10lb carp in open water if you play them correctly.

The margin kit will be useful if you expect to catch loads of medium sized carp (say 5-8lb) and also if you need to fish in a snaggy part of the swim. Some people prefer to use a shorter length of heavier solid elastic for snag fishing, something like 18" of No20 with minimum 8lb line, to get the fish under control quickly, but your pole must be capable of this kind of fishing or you'll be holding carbon splinters!

As with rod and line fishing and as I was describing when saying how to ship a fish back, less pressure = more easily controlled fish - usually. Softer elastic with slightly heavier line will very often land bigger carp quicker.

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

You need a realistic assessment of the type and size of fish you will be fishing for and then set up all you gear accordingly.

In your previous post, you were talking about using a 2lb hooklength, that was why I suggested a 6-8 hollow elastic. If you used a 16 elastic with 2lb line, you will be smashed by most carp over 5lb as they react to the power of the elastic and fight harder.

With your three kits, I would suggest:

Match kit: a hollow 6-8 elastic, for use with hooklengths from 1 1/2lb to 3lb

Power kit: your No12 with rigs using 5lb straight through to the hook or 7lb with 5 or 6lb hooklength

Margin kit: a 16 or equivalent hollow for 7-8lb straight through rigs

See the more I post on this forum the more I can see where I am goin wrong. I am indeed using light hooklinks all the time as i wasnt aware of what line 12 elastic could take. I will try the setup you have suggested on my next trip as my basic catches are carp varying from 4lb to 10lb (if I am lucky) but I have seen the larger fish mov in very close but have always been to worried to drop a pole after them and instead end up setting up a carp rod.

One other thing and I am hijacking my own thread for this, What about using floating baits with a pole or am i asking for trouble? At one of the lakes I fish at the carp readily take free offering from the surface well within pole range but seem to be line shy would a pole find results.

Thankyou

John

Edited by jonnychaos

You shouldn't have any problems with floaters on the pole. Chap I fish with uses it a lot and does very well. So well the method is banned at a few fisheries around here!

Fishing shallow is one place you really need soft elastic for, then hooked fish can dive away from other feeding fish and not spook them.

Your No12 should be OK as long as it is not set tight. I would probably make up a rig with 6lb line straight through to a size 12 hook for that. Try to buy line of 0.16mm or 0.18mm diameter and hooks along the lines of a Kamasan Animal or Drennan Barbless Carp Feeder.

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

Well the carp I am holding in my Avatar was caught 1 rod length down the bank but took about 20 casts to get the line lying right and I wondered if the pole would have handled a 10lber.

I set my elastic so it is slightly over length, then lose that in the not of the conector.

Is there a generic pole setup for banksticks and rollers and such because I also feel I do not do that correctly?

John

Roller positioning depends on how long you are fishing. The roller needs to be at the tipping point of the pole as it comes off the roller.

If, when you are shipping out, the butt of the pole flies up in the air, the roller needs to be moved away from you. If the butt drops as you ship out, the roller needs moving towards you.

It is just trial and error, but you will get used to setting the roller at about the right distance the more you do it. I often spend the first ten minutes of a match getting off my box and repositioning the roller to get it perfect. It can make such a difference to your overall efficiency having the roller positioned correctly. And like many match anglers, I carry two rollers for when I'm fishing very long, or using two different pole lengths.

www.mahseertrust.org

check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

BTW, my biggest pole caught carp was 20lb, caught by snagging my hook under the line attached to a pole float that someone had snapped off and the fish was towing it around! I was quite amazed when the fish popped up to be netted. Prior to that, my best was 18lb, landed on 4lb line and a No8 elastic.

www.mahseertrust.org

check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk