Rod Buying Question

rarepleasures

When there's that little difference I buy in the tackle shop. If they can't make the money on the rods they'll have to make it on the bait or sundries. If you want a local tackle shop you have to enable them to earn a living.

I agree.

You would think that a big place like Peterborough would have a good few tackle shops and there were a couple of years ago. If you look in the yellow pages it will show you about 4-5. I now have only one local shop to go to, Sheltons of Peterborough.

I went to see an even closer one to me and found it had closed down.

If you buy from your local shop they will stay local, if not...get used to buying your tackle from Aldi :D

Beside's, when I visit the shop I usually remember something that I needed to buy. If you do that from an online store you've got make another order and pay more shipping charges.

I'm not saying everything should come from the local as online shops and ebay can have some very attractive offers that you wouldnt find in the store but as rarepleasures has said...if you want a local tackle shop then help them to stay there.

When I was looking for a new float rod, I firstly asked on here for advice and recommendations, then went to various tackle shops with my reel and tried them all. I'd been advised by Steve at Padiham Angling Centre to be patient, and wait until the new Shimano rods arrived in stock before I made a decision, as he thought they had one in their new range that was just what I was looking for.

I'm glad I waited, because for me, it's just a perfect rod and his advice saved me making another unwise investment in a rod that just didn't suit me. The being patient was the difficult bit....

I wouldn't dream of buying any major items of tackle on the Internet......the only items of fishing equipment I've ever bought that way were some escape proof bait tubs and some Spectre floats that were only available mail order.

I know I'm paying more than I need to, and I am on a limited income, but without our support we'll continue to lose our local tackle shops. They have to make money, and the smaller shops just can't compete against the bulk buying of the big boys.

I'd be lost without my tackle shop. It's a great source of information, advice, local knowledge, a meeting place.....and t'Internet doesn't give you a seemingly endless supply of free brews!

Janet

Try to get a rapport going with your local tackle dealer. He will a point you in the right direction (coz he wants your custom next time) and he'll try to do you a good price (coz he wants your money). I would always try to give my local guy a chance at al least trying to match the price of a like for like bit of kit with anything on-line coz as Janet says we need these people (it's hard to buy maggots and casters on-line you know - you can but its hard).

Also if you buy locally and your tackle shop is anything worth its salt if there is a problem they will change the offending item, theres no return fees and no Oh it's been lost in the post.

Sorry went off on a bit of one there. :lol::lol:

Going to try the above

Seen a rod I want for £47 on the internet but know they've got one in a local tackle shop but will be more....will offer to pay £50 for it.

TBH the shop isn't short of money (huge carp section) so they'll probably be happy to shift a rod that may be in there for another six months without being brought!