Tinca start?

Moggy

Here in Denmark the last of the winters frosts is imminent and a young man's fancy turns once again to virgin Tench spot he discovered over a year ago and STILL hasn't fished seriously! When is do tench start becoming more active again? Has the water temperature much to do with it, or is it the length of the day?

I got down last back-end with my little chainsaw and cleared the bank growth, but was advised to leave dragging the swims until I was ready to fish it. Any comments? All advice gratefully accepted!

Guest tigger
Here in Denmark the last of the winters frosts is imminent and a young man's fancy turns once again to virgin Tench spot he discovered over a year ago and STILL hasn't fished seriously! When is do tench start becoming more active again? Has the water temperature much to do with it, or is it the length of the day?

I got down last back-end with my little chainsaw and cleared the bank growth, but was advised to leave dragging the swims until I was ready to fish it. Any comments? All advice gratefully accepted!

People think it's mainly daylight hours but through my experience fishing for Tench I've found they feed much better when there's a good warm spell JMO that is.

Fished my local pond last night as water temp 9-10 degrees, caught a lot of silvers on maggot which would have been more but i upped the bait size to avoid them and caught 1 crucian, 1 skimmer, 20 tench, all on the small size but good action.

Regarding raking your local water, do it when you can from now on and pre-bait a bit to get the fish clearing the swim for you and looking for food, but regarding fishing for tench, it all depends on water temp really, tench will definitely be active when temps in double figures.

Edited by Jeffwill

I was planning a long session for tench (and maybe bream) later this week, but I've put it off by a week to allow the temperatures to rise. It seems that light levels are important, but I suspect it also depends on the depth and clarity of the water, and whether the night time temps are high enough to allow the water to warm up.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks chaps...that answers my question thoroughly...they're already active, drag the swim asap and feed it regularly to get them using the swim. I prefer the evening session...the swim gets the sun in the warmest 4 hours or so of the day so I assume it'd be a good idea to feed the swim that same afternoon. I assume that sweetcorn's fine both as a feed and hook bait. I always have worms with me as first choice bait, with a single piece of corn to hide the point of the hook.

I discovered this part of the lake when I was eeling one evening (Eel is a delicacy over here) and my mate picked up a very broad, deep, short tench in wonderful condition that would have tipped the scales at a 2-2½ kilos. Then I found a spot further away from the path amongst the trees where there were both tench and big bronze bream rolling after emerging insects, but it proved to be virtually un-fishable because of saplings, shrubbery and sedge on land and fallen branches lilies and weed in the water. Now there are two nice pogs that just needs dragging. Looking forward immensely to having many a cold beer down there of a late evening!

Thanks again, Jon