Fishing for Brown Trout in Scotland

wemfish

I am off for a weeks holiday in Scotland later this year. . .

Many years ago when I last went to Scotland, no rod license was required and fishing for brown trout was free (some old law)

Are things still the same or if not what are the laws/rules now?

Thanks for any help

Stuart

Take your time to get it right, There is only one fish in the lake that you are after and you don't want to loose it do you?

IPB Image

Many years ago when I last went to Scotland, no rod license was required and fishing for brown trout was free (some old law)

Thanks for any help

Stuart

Hi Stuart

The good news is that you still don't need a rod license.

The bad news is that trout fishing never was free for anyone, although lots of people think it is, or at least should be.

The fish are wild and don't belong to anyone, but the fishing rights or access rights belong to the landowner and it is an offense to fish without permission, strictly speaking that should be written permission.

Water bailiffs have the right to ask you to produce your written permission, they can confiscate your tackle and even have powers of arrest in some circumstances.

Having said that, fishing very often is free if you ask the owner and trout fishing on some of the best rivers may only cost a few pounds so it shouldn't be a problem.

As an example, the Brown trout fishing on my local river, the Don, is considered to be amongst the best in Europe and I fish it for as little as 3 quid a day.

What part of the country are you visiting, might be able to help or advise if you are in my neck of the woods.

Hope this helps

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thanks Dave,

I am going to Ayrshire but will travel around a bit.

Take your time to get it right, There is only one fish in the lake that you are after and you don't want to loose it do you?

IPB Image

Thanks for any help

Stuart

Hi mate, unfortunately not. You have to pay for almost every loch, unless of course it happens to fall on someones lands and you ask permission. Where in scotland are you going and I can recommend you some places and tactics/flies etc

cheers